Type of Jewel Setting

jdrichard

Fixing an old Elgin 16S watch and was wondering if these jewels in the lower plate are simply friction fit. If they are, do I simply remove them with my Seitz Jeweling tool (using the correct procedure for measuring depth etc,) and then push in a new jewel. I did purchase a boatload of jewels off eBay and should be able to match the diameter and hole size. It is the Third Wheel lower plate jewel that is cracked and will need to be replaced as I can't seem to get the power from the Mainspring to the escape wheel.eea3dcb644adc2eb1b6723fa909829fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the other side, you will see that they are burnished in.  So, you need to push the broken jewel out, raise that burnished lip, place the new Seitz jewel in place and push the burnished lip back down to hold the jewel.

ElginJewelsBurnished.jpg

It doesn't look like there is anything holding in the jewel. What the heck is a burnished lip? I will do some more research prior to pushing the jewel out.

Also sometimes referred to as 'rubbed in'.  If you have access to DeCarle's Practical Watch Repairing, there's an excellent drawing and explanation of the process on page 260 and 261 (3rd edition).

Big thanks, I'll have a look

Ok. I read the section in practical watch repair and now it makes sense. I do have the tools for opening up the hole but do not have the tool to close the hole. May need to improvise. I still don't know it these are rubbed in jewels, however, now I know what to look for. Should not be a difficult job.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk