Hello from Minnesota

Aric

Hi everyone. I am just getting started out in this new hobby. The only tool I have so far is a case opener (a cheap one). I used to have some screwdrivers that I bought at Radio Shack that were far too big, so I filed them down to size and sharpened them. They worked good enough to take the mainspring out of an old watch that I inherited from my dad when he died and then they went in the trash. I was only taking a guess that the mainspring was in what I was holding, as I didn't know what I was even looking at. I opened up what turned out to be the barrel and the mainspring shot out and into the next room at around mach 2. I don't have that broken mainspring anymore, and I'd like to fix that old watch, but don't know the size of the spring. I ordered a replacement UT 29C movement the other day. I'm going to try that approach. Other than that, I recently replaced a cheap Ronda 705 movement into a Swiss Army watch that I bought in 1992. It works again and I am thrilled to death about it. The calendar wheel is not right though. The teeth on it aren't in the right place. I'm going to try to take the old one out of the old movement and put it into the new movement. I suppose I'll need some tools first though. I don't think just having a case opener is going to cut it. Maybe Santa will bring me some real tools!

Welcome Aric,

I hope in my next re-incarnation I'm not one of your watches but the good will is noted! :)

In any case, welcome to the forum and hopefully you will find what you need to make those watches happy! Remember to ask, search and above all, look at the walk through and the tools section. I will also recommend a free Seiko class that is somewhere on the net...it is not probably the same movement as your watches but it will get your feet wet on the subject and a -- very slight -- hint at best practices so your watches have a chance. Remember, they are delicate pieces of...machinery?  :)

Cheers,

Bob