SEIKO Precision Cal.91RW

anilv

Hi guys...

Just sharing my latest acquisition... a Seiko 'Precision 'pocket watch with 'second setting'. The movement is a cal 91RW (railway watch).

P_20161101_163958.jpg

The 'second-setting' is a form of hacking where you pull the crown and the seconds hand will stop when it reaches '0'. You wait for the time signal (over the radio?) and press it in at the hourly beep. Apparently there is a pin on the 4th wheel which the hack lever contacts in the time setting position.P_20161101_164113.jpg

The movement is simple and quite clean for its age.P_20161103_195428.jpg

Crown Is marked 'S'.. case is played base-metal.P_20161101_164130.jpg

Case has seven digits , Seiko went to 6 digits in the mid sixties but the dating system where the first digit indicates the year of manufacture and the second digit the month still applies. Considering that this movement was first made in 1945, this watch could've been made in 1945, 1955 or 1965.. I'm thinking 1965 but who knows for sure?!

Anyway the watch runs well but surprisingly has a very loud 'tick' which can be heard across my bedroom. The only watches which have done this before are pin-levers!

Anil

• Like 4

On 11/3/2016 at 1:12 PM, anilv said:

Case has seven digits , Seiko went to 6 digits in the mid sixties but the dating system where the first digit indicates the year of manufacture and the second digit the month still applies. Considering that this movement was first made in 1945, this watch could've been made in 1945, 1955 or 1965.. I'm thinking 1965 but who knows for sure?!

I would think so. I believe Diaflex (unbreakable mainspring) is a invention of the 60s. But  anti-shock was available then, but is not used in your watch.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.