Seiko7123 canon pinion and hour wheel stop during time change!!

Hello, I have just COA a Seiko 7123 and had to replace the date wheel and date click (forget the actual name). When I manually change the date it works fine, but when I leave it over night the hour wheel and canon pinion stops. The second wheel continues to run. But, like I said, close to day and date change those wheels and hands stops! What has happened??

Diamondslayer

I  think you have a problem with the cannon pinion. It sits on a wheel. Much like on a 2824-2  ETA  movement. There should be a very light slippage when you test it? 

I see nothing other then replace this? As they are very hard to fix? You could try a staking tool and tighten it a little. But it could break? or as it has the arms. Could get uncentered? download (5).jpg

ETA 2824-2 cannon pinion . Seiko 7123 has three arms in the center of the gear. 

Edited by rogart63

As Rogart says it sounds like there isn't quite enough friction at the canon pinion. It is just tight enough to transmit the power for the normal time keeping outside of the date change window but as soon as the date change finger starts to apply a load to the date wheel the friction is overcome and the hour and minute hands as well as the the date wheel stop.

• Like 1

First thing I would do is check that the battery is fully charged. Then I'd check for other tolerances as outlined by the others above...even though the hour wheel is different. Check that the date changing mechanism is not too tight...JMHO.

First thing I would do is check that the battery is fully charged. Then I'd check for other tolerances as outlined by the others above...even though the hour wheel is different. Check that the date changing mechanism is not too tight...JMHO.

Just took it apart and checked the canon pinion and it is plenty slick! Then I checked the battery! It is in the green!! I will set it close to date change and see what it does in the next couple hours. If it happens again, I have bought a old movement and will clean and replace the canon pinion!!

Diamondslayer

57 minutes ago, diamondslayer said:

Just took it apart and checked the canon pinion and it is plenty slick! Then I checked the battery! It is in the green!! I will set it close to date change and see what it does in the next couple hours. If it happens again, I have bought a old movement and will clean and replace the canon pinion!!

Diamondslayer

If it's that slick? i say something is wrong? As far as the day and date change? It looks okay? And sound okay? 

But i think it looks way to easy to change the hands? 

Edited by rogart63