Lathe faceplate

szbalogh

I will need a faceplate to make modifications to a specific watch case to fit the movement or just to broaden my capabilities. It must be DIY of course :) Looking for simple designs like these:

3548559_orig.jpg6239864_orig.jpg

But it is not clear what the cranks at the outboard of the clamps are used for. Are they necessary?

"But it is not clear what the cranks at the outboard of the clamps are used for. Are they necessary?"

They are like small toolmakers clamps and are used for clamping thin plates.  The slots in the faceplate allow easy positioning of the clamps/job to be turned.

10 minutes ago, Geo said:

If you know how a toolmakers clamp works it should be self explanatory.

Hehe, i only know that it is used to turn plates and such. Never used one before.

I just think that the screws at the back are to tighten the workpiece. But those other screw??? What they do?

Here's one off my Boley lathe.  

You adjust the clamps until they gently grip the part that you wish to machine.  Once you have positioned the part correctly, you tighten the knurled nuts at the back of the plate to grip the part really tightly.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geo said:

Here's one off my Boley lathe.  

You adjust the clamps until they gently grip the part that you wish to machine.  Once you have positioned the part correctly, you tighten the knurled nuts at the back of the plate to grip the part really tightly.

AAhhhhhh!  Now i got it :) That nut at the front is to adjust the clamp to the workpiece thickness, that the clamp will stay parallel to the faceplate! Thank You for the excellent pictures. Now i can see that spring as well. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon: