TISSOT Le Locle

Krish

I have a Tissot Le Locle automatic watch, which worked for just over the guarantee period of two years. I put it away fro about 5 years, but now I am keen to get it working. The rotor ( the item that rotates inside the watch) does not appear to move freely. I can see it via the transparent part of the rear case. I doubt that the bearings should be worn just after two years. I tried winding up the crown with it in the fully in position. If I hold it my ear while winding the crown, I hear a feint scrapping noise. I am not certain if this is normal. I tried moving the watch vigorously to "power" it but it is still stone dead. The nearest agent is about 800km away and I am a bit nervous about sending it there. I am an electronics engineer, is there anything simple I should try before sending it away. This watch has never been opened or went under water. I will appreciate any assistance in this regard.

Please Krish, post a picture of the movement and try to get its number so we can help better. Thank you in advance.

Otherwise, whatever we say could work...or not...beware when it doesn't! :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Tissot has some "in house" movements that use some plastic (or a lot) and if they break then...well, scrapping sounds and more is the result...but it could also happen with regular metal parts...Oh, I don't know! My take is the winding mechanism is busted somewhere! We need to take the watch apart! :thumbsu:  YES!!!

3 minutes ago, bobm12 said:

Excellent, we got our first imput! Thank "TheFixer"! So, the reverse wheels and/or the ratchet wheel may be an issue but it's got to be opened to really assess what is going on!

Cheers,

Bob

Sounds like a plan:)

Those case backs are tight to get off so be careful.

Jon

Hello Bob, Thanks "The Fixer". It seems worth repairing, but if it could be whats suggested, perhaps I should get an expert to look at it.

It might be beyond my capabilities, though I do work with micro electronics.

Do you agree with the above?

1 hour ago, TheFixer said:

If I may say it sounds like a watchmaker/repairer would be the best way to go.

Contact Mark the forum owner thats his main job and he has a wealth of experience.

Consider however that Mark is in the UK, but from the picture posted I believe the OP is in the UK. Unfortunately int.l shipping has become expensive after latest USPS increase.

Hello jdm and TheFixer,

As per Tissot, I will send it to:

Swatch Group (South Africa) (PTY) Ltd

33 Angus Crescent

Longmeadow East Business Estate

1645 Modderfontein

Phone: 27 11 911 1200

Email: [email protected]

Will keep you posted when we hear from them. Many thanks for all the help and advise.

So long .......

Hello Friends,

Here is the quote (attached pdf) . The watch is in good condition, the marks and scratches are hardly noticeable, but I guess they are covering their ....!

I will check why it stopped working if it needs a service though, anyone knows and can perhaps explain it to me.

210538764.PDF

That's a good deal since the repair is about US$140 (2000 rand aprox), they should service the whole watch (like having a new watch, hopefully)....the movement alone, new, is about US$200 or a little less...of course, I would ask them if they are really doing the whole thing just to be sure...new crystal and polishing of case and bracelet among other things (they gave you a list -- in the quote -- of what they found).

I wonder how the Tissot using their Powermatic movements compare to the ones using ETA...Powermatics are about US$100 cheaper. There are mixed reviews about those...

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I also found it strange, as it just stopped working just after two years. Perhaps a "factory fault" on the series??? Hence they are replacing the movements. I confirmed that they are cleaning and polishing etc, which is hardly necessary as the watch is practically new, contra to  what they say on their report. We are Philips Sales and Service Agents, so they are just detailing in case they have an unreasonable customer, so we understand. I also specified that all original spares, lubricant be used.

Nevertheless, I accepted and will let you know further when I receive the watch.

My belief is that Tissot, being under the Swatch umbrella, can get those movements cheaper and the labor to replace them is also cheaper than troubleshoot and repair the existing movement. We are talking "in house" (almost) production, and hours of specialized labor. The refinishing/restoring of the other parts is simply an extra that seems to be policy or competes with the Omega shop service...also under Swatch. Traditionally, Tissot and Omega have been very close and I don't see why they should not proceed in the same fashion as far as repair and restoring watches...the only difference in my mind will be prices. Who knows maybe the refinishing side of both businesses is the same department!

Of course, this is my belief (MHO) if someone knows better and for sure, I'd love to listen! :)

Cheers,

Bob

Perhaps the labour to restore the original movement to factory specification is not available locally. Hence the need to just refit factory reconditioned movements.

I actually insisted that my movement be repaired as i know my watch was hardly used, but the customer service stated it was policy to just replace the movement. Being in the service industry, I understand that skilled productive labour is hard to come around locally. So i guess this is the best alternative.

Sorry if that's has nothing to do with the subject but today I've seen a small sized PR100 with 80 hours reserve power. It looked real nice and well made. At full retail price of €570 it is competive with Seiko SAR line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi There,

I received the Tissot back last week. Its on my wrist and seems good for the week. I thank all of you for motivating me to get it repaired and hope it serves me better that the 2+ years after I first purchased it. Thanks for all the info, chat soon.