Hi from the wilds of North Wiltshire.

Mitch

Watches are a very recent addiction I have attained after my son, in Australia, said he wanted to own a piece of history, an early Pocket Watch. Since then we have been “talking”, (via Whatsapp), every few days about what we have found out or brought.

I found an old Pocket Watch Chronograph in one of our drawers, we had no idea where it came from but it wasn't working. The case had I.P.O. L.D.B. 79. written on the back but no other indication on either the face or the movement as to what it was.

I decided to try and find out what was wrong, and as I took it to bits I was in awe of the workmanship, and when I took the face off I found it was marked 'Excelsior Park'. I now know it's a good make but little else. Anyway, being a mechanical engineer by training I slowly worked my way through the movement and found the problem. It's now all back together and has gained about 1minute over 3 days, which I was amazed about.

Then, recently, I got into watching Mark's videos and I realised he would be crying in his boots if he had seen the way the watch was taken apart and reassembled. One of the vidoes actually explained how to fix the problem I fixed, the Crescent on the Roller was in the wrong position...

I now can't wait to find another, more suitable, candidate watch to “service”.

One of my other hobbies is model engineering with my latest project being shown on this web site although it's very out of date. After four and a half years it's 95% complete, I hope that the addiction with watches don't stop it reaching 100%....

https://sites.google.com/site/amodeltractionenginebuild/

Welcome to the Forum Mitch! I'm blown away by your mechanical projects and skills with shop equipment in general, and particularly the lathe and milling machines. I also love fishing and of course, watch tinkering. That last one is referred here as watchitis since it grows to be an incurable "bug". All in all, I wouldn't like watchmaking to be in the way of your wonderful projects and would love to see your engine finally finished. I wonder what new watch projects you might add to your already flourishing model shop to do list. In any case, don't shy away from posting pictures, I bet they will be very educative and interesting to all our members delight.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. And don't forget we are here to ask and share our watchmaking experiences so ask away if you ever need to!

Hello Mitch and welcome,

Your traction engine is an impressive piece of work and testament to your skill.  I am sure you will enjoy it here and be able to contribute and I wonder if your next project may be a Clock or Watch from scratch when you finish the last five percent of the engine,  I look forward to your postings

Cheers,

Vic