Myota 8215

Could someone please provide a link to the service guide or technical manual for this movement? I have google searched but all I find is the owners manual. I have tried Cousins and I get lost in their site. I must be internet illiterate or something ;-).

I am well on my way to completion of teardown, clean, and reassemble of my very first movement a Seiko 7s26c. I found an inexpensive new 8215 that I want to tacle next. This has been a great introduction to watchmaking as well as very humbling. I have immense respect for the pros and advanced amateurs here! I have been able to learn how my tools perform or dont, and what tools I need to add. The tool collecting is an adventure all in itself.

I have a pile of old movements I am tinkering with too. Mark made a comment somewhere advising to look at and study as many balance assemblies as possible to become so familiar that you can spot a fault intuitively. That comment resonated with me. Im my field I examine thousands of normal human cells all day long. Its the experience of looking at normal that has given me the ability to instantly recognize abnormal.

At any rate I will stop yammering on. I would be very appreciative of a link and any sage wisdom regarding the 8215.

Alec

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Now I'm completely confused, it would appear that the epilame  is oleophobic  as @Marc states: This oleophobic  behavior can be seen as beading of the droplet (as above) which stops the oil spreading which is supported by what we observe on treated/untreated cap stones (for example), but as @VWatchie states this should make the drops more mobile, and not less mobile which is the opposite of what we want. In fact this beading and high mobility are desirable properties in things like smart phone covers, see below.  I am fairly sure that epilame doesn't make the droplets more mobile, so maybe its a strange coating with dual properties that are both oleophobic and cohesive/adhesive resulting in low mobility?? This may explain the high price??  
    • The description there is exactly how it's done, and it's very well written!
    • Would it be correct to say that the stronger the mainspring, the thicker the oil should be? So for a fusee mainspring, should a thick grease be used?
    • I started on pocket watches as they are easier to work on than wristwatches. Many had gold cases, which is why there are so many movements for sale. I was always on the look out for cases, for as Nickelsilver says,  a 16s movement will fit any 16s case* (with tweaks to the stem). I also started hand winding mainsprings, before I had winders. It can be done without damage, but it's quite hard on the fingers.  But you can make homemade winders, see here      * some movements, eg "railroad grade", have a setting lever on the edge of the  dial at about the 1 -2 o'clock, so need a special case.
    • Ok, on your movement plate you can see a star wheel on the right, this is the silencer, if you rotate the hands by hand through each hour you will see that eventually it acts upon the cam which moves the lever and in turn lifts the lifting lever thus stopping the chimes and strike working.  What you need to do is get your clock to 11pm and also turn the star until the cam lifts the lever and stops the action. The star wheel has a small spring that gives it a positive action between each movement, so once at 11pm you can rotate the star wheel around by hand until it stops the action at 11pm. Hope this makes sense to you.