Alessi quartz watch

I have just joined this very informative and friendly forum.

I was given this watch years ago as a present, so it has some sentimental value to me, and I like the design.

It stopped working some time ago, and I dug it out of its drawer recently and sourced a new Hattori VJ21B movement. The back screws off, and the old movement was easily removed. However I cannot see how to get the face out to replace the hands. There is a split line on the case [see photos], is it likely that I can prise it apart there?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Ronnie

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

It a new one for me but it looks like it splits or twists here. Fine one edged razor blade might do the trick.

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 18.19.03.png

Thanks for the reply. I reckoned it would be less likely that it would twist due to the rounded square shape.

I wondered about some kind of improvised press using a blade clamped to a drill press vice... ?

It's reminiscent of a Freida Lacher watch that I own. Is the watch German?

The case back is removed to change the battery. Can't quite see how you removed the quartz movement from the rear but from the photos, the dial feet appear to be undamaged.

A fine edged case knife should remove the bezel from the front, if the bezel is removable. Look for a small recess for a knife around the bezel.

If the bezel isn't removable, remove the crystal with a grab tool and the dial will fall out.

Attach the movement to the dial feet and load back into the case from the front and enjoy your watch !

Tony

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Alessi company is Italian, but the watch could have been made elsewhere.

Removing the movement from the rear probably wasn't one of my better ideas, but I got away with it. I'll have another go at trying to split the case tomorrow and report back.

So...armed with a bit more confidence from the advice given here, I went at the case join less tentatively, and it split fairly easily. Everything cleaned, hands fitted, movement replaced, watch reassembled, watch now ticking away happily.

Thanks again!

[Fyi I found some tiny engraving inside reading "SII Marketing" which suggested that it was made by Seiko, and some Googling confirmed this]

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• £4.04 originally worked out to $5, or thereabouts accounting for currency fluctuations. Inflation calculator from 2020 (when the thread was started, though not when Andy coined the term) says we're looking at $6 currently. What currency is the 6.99 inflation adjusted figure cited in the poll? $6 may still seem restrictive, but don't forget that's part of the point. It's a challenge. Thrill of the hunt and all. Diamonds in the rough. Also, and my personal angle on the game, a fun and inexpensive way to learn watchmaking skills.
    • Dear all My first experience servicing a quartz watch after servicing as an hobby my mechanic watches for many years. This is an old Certina that was given to me by a friend, with  a ETA/ESA 9362 movement. Before service I put a new battery and the watch was working. After servicing the movement stopped working. i understand that there might be a lot of reasons for this (including the fact that I used technics and oils from mechanic movements on this one  ), but at this stage I would only need to check if the electronic module is good. Don't have a quartz tester but only a multimeter. You will see on the photos that the battery contact is broken and needs soldering. With the battery in the movement I can confirm that the electronic module had power (1.57v). Question: what basic tests can I do with a multimeter to confirm that the electronic module is good? how to check if the coil is good and if there is pulse in the electronic module? what contacts should I use to test it? (I saw some videos on you tube but was not able to find the specific test procedures for the ETA 9362). Any information to help me check if the reason for the movement to stop is on the electronic or mechanic part of the watch is much appreciated. Many thanks
    • Dear all My first experience servicing a quartz watch after servicing as an hobby my mechanic watches for many years. This is an old Certina that was given to me by a friend, with  a ETA/ESA 9362 movement. Before service I put a new battery and the watch was working. After servicing the movement stopped working. i understand that there might be a lot of reasons for this (including the fact that I used technics and oils from mechanic movements on this one 😞 ), but at this stage I would only need to check if the electronic module is good. Don't have a quartz tester but only a multimeter. You will see on the photos that the battery contact is broken and needs soldering. With the battery in the movement I can confirm that the electronic module had power (1.57v). Question: what basic tests can I do with a multimeter to confirm that the electronic module is good? how to check if the coil is good and if there is pulse in the electronic module? what contacts should I use to test it? (I saw some videos on you tube but was not able to find the specific test procedures for the ETA 9362). Any information to help me check if the reason for the movement to stop is on the electronic or mechanic part of the watch is much appreciated. Many thanks    
    • I have bought without seeing inside before and have generally been luck Michael. If its a screwback case i seem to allow some leniency on the removal of it, i dont know why because I've never struggled to remove a back with very basic equipment.   If everything is inside them, then once restored and keeping time the oris could be worth 20 -30 each, I've paid a lot more Oris date pointers in the past.
    • I use a nylon bristle from a brush to run around the coils or a thin piece of copper wire, you need .1 - .15mm.