replacing stem

I have a 70s Mickey Mouse watch. My local watch repair person said there was no use trying to repair it because the stem was missing. Is this true?

I am new to watch repair, but not to the skills needed and I would like some experienced hand to advise on whether 1) replacing a stem is possible and 2) whether this procedure is beyond the ability of a newcomer.

I am confident that if it can be done, I can do it with the aid of the many tutorials and information I see on this site.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help anyone can give me.

Anthony

You should be able to see if the stem is missing, that's the part that holds the crown. A new stem can normally be obtained and replaced. There is a video by Mark about that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnthonyS said:

Yes, thanks. The stem is entirely gone, no question about that. Can I just query the video section with "Mark" and the video you reference will show up?

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/watch_repair_videos.html/watch-repair-basics-videos/how-to-fit-a-new-watch-winder-crown-and-stem-replacement-r20/

Edited by jdm

• 1 year later...

Yes, thanks. The stem is entirely gone, no question about that. Can I just query the video section with "Mark" and the video you reference will show up?

Does your Mickey look like this?  If so, note the crown is press fitted to the stem so is installed as one piece.  It most likely is gone because the set lever and or screw is loose or missing as well.  Check out the second picture. See how the stem is held down by a cleat with one set screw.   I have all the replacement parts available including the #24 non sweep movement is you need it.

DSC05565.JPG

DSC05566.JPG