First main spring

Never been inside a barrel before but decided now was the time... I got it out without injury as well! Now, if it's ok, it just needs cleaning and greasing, but since this is my first, thought I would just ask if it looks ok to re-use? The hook looks fine and it is in one piece. What else should I be looking for that would suggest it should be replaced rather than re-used?

DSCF2291.JPG

Thanks for your help, Jdm. I knew it wasn't perfect, but that gives a good idea whats acceptable. This watch doesn't really warrant it but if I have one I'll change it for the practice. Am I right in thinking that new mainsprings come lubed ready for fitting?

If you haven't done a mainspring before practice fitting the old one before tackling the new one, I broke the first two mainsprings I tried to reinstall in the barrel, yours shouldn't be as bad as it Isn't from an auto with a slipping clutch spring.

But still a good idea in any case.

But if the OP buys a new mainspring he won't have to touch it at all as it goes straight from the holding washer to the barrel. That's good as it avoids manipulation and contamination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

But if the OP buys a new mainspring he won't have to touch it at all as it goes straight from the holding washer to the barrel. That's good as it avoids manipulation and contamination.

You must be telepathic, Jdm :D That was on my mind. A while back I came across loads of, what I thought were coloured washers, but I now realise they are mainsprings. Luckily, at the time since I didn't know what they were I had the nouse to hang on to them! I was thinking I would do just as you have suggested, not knowing if that would work, but it would appear it will... now I just need to find out where I put the darn things when I saved them. 

If the new mainspring has been around for a while, you should probably clean it and put fresh grease on it anyway. I bought a couple of NOS Gruen mainsprings a while back and did just that. Oh, and I broke one winding it. But that's another story.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk