Illinois motor barrel

syfre

Another "motor barrel" ?

A Hebdomas 8 Jours pocket watch is fitted with a very long mainspring in a big barrel.
The outside of the barrel turns when you winding the watch (60 full turns once a week).
You can see the click in the upper left.

EJ

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

• Like 1

I have come across this in types of old travel clocks but I can't remember the names. I found the springs to be very strong and not a very satisfactory way of winding, the spring would rip the barrel from the inside and this would cause the spring to slip more then it should, the other fault was with the click and the teeth because of the strong spring it would cause wear in the teeth and on the click, you would almost have it fully wound and at the last turn slip right back and nearly take your hand off. Never seen it in a pocket watch. 

It has standard a slipspring around the mainspring.  There are 4 dents in the barrel for holding the slipspring.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/repair-slip-springs-hebdomas-day-1773782840

Winding is not heavy but, it takes very long. 

It is a very usefull  8 day watch with day date and now 100 years old. Average over the week  +/- 3 minutes but after 7 days just in time.