Latest aquisitions

The Seiko was very much an impulse buy - from Samuels of all places - I don't pretend to understand their marketing practices for a mo but I guess they know what they are doing - to decode, Samuels were selling the Kinetic Perpetual in the picky for £499.99 - then decided that that price was outside their Corporate range (the Manager of our local store who is such a nice friendly lass told me so) - so Samuels stop stocking the Seiko Perpetual range and sell Citizen KPs instead which are significantly cheaper (their perpetuals are still VG I feel sure) - so anyway, Samuels had a 50%-off fire sale on their remaining stocks of Seiko KPs - £249.99 so I weakened and got the last one in our local store. Lovely thing - movement made by Seiko at their Tokyo factory and the case and bracelet by their HK factory but hey, nowt wrong with that. Re. the AT . got that on 5 years interest free with a Japanese finance co - 15% deposit and £50 pcm but having given up the tabs I can stretch to that :) 

Well worn the Omega for just over a week - very mixed feelings - I think it is the best Omega have made for many a year but I have misgivings:-

• it is a big fat heavy thing !
  • no quickset - Omega have tried to make a virtue out of the 'time - zone' feature (like the 1342 Ha!) but is it really onerous to pull the stem to pos 2 and change the date ?? (are there tech probs providing a quickset meccy on the 8500 I wonder? - BTW Peops say the same about the new Globemaster)
  • Should have made the dial a tad smaller and profiled the edges of the case nicely - you don't see the edges from the promotional photos but it looks cheapish to me in the flesh and reminiscent of the tat that Omega made in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 20's et al
  • Hands are too fat - hour hand looks like the end has fallen off !
  • Date window - like the trapezoid shape but it it is dis-proportionally small !

Omega have got a lot right at long last but too much wrong still - relatively speaking IMHO, my new Seiko is an object lesson in making a case for a 35mm crystal

Looks good in the promo piccys (it would I guess!) - there are no Omega dealers in the County I live in so one can't readily handle- looks nice head-on I admit and I think it is a good start (Like Rolex, Omega are starting to become very selective re. the 'ambiance' of the outlets that sell them - not good enough by Omega's new standards then the dealer won't be supplied with them anymore :( (Done the same with Audi cars in my County some years ago - no Audi dealers anymore)  

Edited by presto0906