Bespoke Watch Assembly Help

As a great fan of this forum and the openness and frank opinions of the members I would like to seek your advice on my next project. 

Craftsmanship and engineering is in the family blood and my very young grandson is already showing these trends with his curiosity and wanting to take things apart !   I have excellent hand-made items by each generation back to to his great-grandfather and would like to add my own. 

I have a few bits but nothing that he would set great stall to, so I have decided to assemble a good quality watch for him as he does like messing with my nominal value ones. My son also appreciates fine watches and would be a good custodian and would add his own timepiece no doubt.

Unfortunately I do not have the skills or equipment to make from scratch but have been fixing and servicing watches since retiring over 10 years ago, so I have sufficient skills to build a watch from parts. 

I want to build a 'new' watch that will be unique to me and not refurbish an old one (I've got a couple of those already).

I am currently looking at an Ickler Case (stainless/gold with sapphire glasses) which will fit an ETA 2824-2 movement, adding my own choice of dial and hands, and finish with a good brand quality strap or bracelet. Don't want chrono just simple time and date or day/date.

My main concern is the movement re the ETA future parts/service issues.  Do I go for the brand name/quality and live with the lack of parts etc issue, or go for something that has similar quality and parts availability into the future. I will probably get some spares in hand such as mainspring/stem etc.  An alternative I am considering is Sellita SW200-1 or Sellita SW220-1 which can directly replace the ETA without case modification.

Your views/comments/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks stroppy,  Nice site and some interesting stuff.  I still plan to go new as I want it to be of 'today' not of a past era.  I already have some vintage Omega, Seiko, Rotary etc but I want something more unique that nobody else will have or will have had (just like the other stuff from my past family).  Thanks for your interest and I hope you understand my thinking.

Hi canthus,

I would go for the ETA. If anything will stand the test of time is the movement you have in mind: ETA 2824-2. This is by no means a new movement but one that has stood the test of time. It is not as finicky as the 2892A2 which makes it easier to fix and worst case scenario, being so popular, will have one way or another many parts available even if ETA goes under (let's hope it never happens)...and then you have the other clones that in a pinch may supply the needed part when/if it ever needs it. So, there you have it: my 2 cents on the matter! 

I would suggest that if at all possible, being for the purpose you stated, try to get the best version you can -- they come in 4 finishes -- and of course, brand new.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi bobm12,   Thanks for your reply. 

I have heard of these different finishes but have no idea what they actually represent, any info ? 

I am also looking for a possible source other than Cousins in UK which have them available, but I don't know what finish it is other than it is in a sealed pack (ie not loose packed)?

Edited by canthus

Thanks bobm12, Will have to scout around and see what i can find.

Thanks jdm, These are the Ickler cases I fancy as they seem to be very good quality with sapphire glasses.

For those interested Here is a link I also found which shows many options for ETA cases, dials and hands.

http://shop.sk-watchparts.com/epages/Starck_Andreas44894456.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Starck_Andreas44894456/Categories/Edelstahlgeh%C3%A4use

Edited by canthus

Thank you both: jdm and canthus for the links.

My opinion is that both links for watch cases are fine but in my mind they are both essentially 5 atm cases. Other than design, I would love to have more input about case choices and materials employed for this special watch you are making (maybe higher atm rating?)...

Cheers,

Bob