Cleaning Main Spring And Oiling Barrel

I just removed the mainspring from the barrel on the 6139 I am working on. As a newbie was wondering if I can use moebus 1300 on the barrel wall. Does it matter? I also had the hardest time manually putting the spring back in, but I did it. Now I'm not sure if it has to hook to the barrel arbor right away or will it hook when it is wound?

Note that I also have D5 and could have perhaps used it for the barrel walls?? Not sure. I did not oil the main spring, I just put a few drops of 1300 on the wound spring. Did I totally screw up or is all ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually wipe the mainspring with D5, and lubricate the barrel wall 8213 braking grease. The braking grease is required to give the correct slip/grip between the spring and the barrel wall in an automatic.

Have a read of this thread JD, it should help you.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/2268-moebius-8200-for-automatic-mainspring-barrel/?hl=%2Bbraking+%2Bgrease#entry22801

• Like 1

If you are going to be working on automatics that slip to prevent damage when fully wound, then you should buy a braking grease. Do a search on this forum and the web in general, there is a lot of information out there regarding this.

If you are going to be working on automatics that slip to prevent damage when fully wound, then you should buy a braking grease. Do a search on this forum and the web in general, there is a lot of information out there regarding this.

Will order some today. Where do you typically buy from

Will order some today. Where do you typically buy from

I've bought quite a lot of my lubes from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Grease-lubricants-Moebius-swiss-made-choose-watchmakers-chronograph-/151144554717?var=&hash=item68d2e9c4b3

Have a look at the list further down in the advert and chose the one you want. There is a description of each lube and what it should be used for.

I've bought quite a lot of my lubes from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Grease-lubricants-Moebius-swiss-made-choose-watchmakers-chronograph-/151144554717?var=&hash=item68d2e9c4b3

Have a look at the list further down in the advert and chose the one you want. There is a description of each lube and what it should be used for.

thanks, I live in Canada so buying from the US from EBay actually turns out to cost me more than Cousins UK, as they have comparable prices and the shipping is cheap. Plus I don't get nailed with brokerage fees, a la UPS

Sorry Geo, but no, from here your link takes me to ebayUK (price in pounds) but if you do a search for the name as I suggested, from your account at home -- USA in this case or Canada in his case -- you'll get different results in the local country...it depends on the "options" this seller has and where he/she sells. (it is not a link but a vendor's name). At least that's what I get...

I've found that a light amount of D5 on the mainspring itself, is more than fine to lubricate it, and then you add braking grease to the barrel wall. I don't think you will find much difference in viscosity between D5 and whatever is recommended for automatic mainsprings. In addition, newer mainspring often don't need lubrication. (All automatics need breaking grease), and my master watchmaker friend, doesn't even lubricate automatic mainspring. Most are teflon coated, and are so thin, they have very little friction.

I use D5 on manual mainsprings as well, which may not be proper, but it seems to do the job just fine, and I've had no issues after the fact.