Frozen Screw In Nelson Watch

ausimax

Hi, I have a slight problem with this movement the stem retaining screw is frozen, will not move in either direction, the stem still rotates but will not pull out to the hand setting position.

The screw has a head on the train bridge so I can't disassemble the movement around it, my present line of thinking is to hope the screw will break at the setting lever and allow the lever to fall clear and release the stem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to proceed?

Thanks, Max

Arrow shows the screw in question

.post-1709-0-81173200-1456033789_thumb.jp 

Hi, I have a slight problem with this movement the stem retaining screw is frozen, will not move in either direction, the stem still rotates but will not pull out to the hand setting position.

The screw has a head on the train bridge so I can't disassemble the movement around it, my present line of thinking is to hope the screw will break at the setting lever and allow the lever to fall clear and release the stem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to proceed?

Thanks, Max

Arrow shows the screw in question

.attachicon.gifP2217703.jpg

I am wondering if you can access from the front. If it is possible to remove the the crystal then it might be possible to get at it from the dial side. I have highlighted what I think are the dial feet retaining screws if correct then my idea would work. If not then try a little heat on the stubborn screw with a soldering iron it loosen up things. The other way might be to remove all spring tension first then remove the wheel below to stubborn screw and perhaps you could wiggle the stem out by manipulating the cluch wheel.

post-234-0-19649500-1456041348_thumb.png

I am wondering if you can access from the front. If it is possible to remove the the crystal then it might be possible to get at it from the dial side. I have highlighted what I think are the dial feet retaining screws if correct then my idea would work. If not then try a little heat on the stubborn screw with a soldering iron it loosen up things. The other way might be to remove all spring tension first then remove the wheel below to stubborn screw and perhaps you could wiggle the stem out by manipulating the cluch wheel.

attachicon.gifDial feet screws.png

Thanks that could be a work around for the problem, attack it from behind or rather befront, if it were the type where the setting lever stud didn't fasten the train bridge it would have been less of a problem,

thanks for your input will try out the options tomorrow.

Max

clockboy you are right about the dial screws. By the picture it looks to me as if there are traces of rust in the pinion wheel. How about dropping some penetrating oil down there and some over the stem retaining screw. 

Yes have taken that course, placed a couple of drops around the screw and packed it off till the morrow to give it some time to act, thanks for your help.

Max

Another thing to try.

Get an old screwdriver and using a lightweight hammer tap down on the screw head a couple of times before trying to unscrew it. Make sure the case is well supported before doing this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

]Finally got around to attacking this one again, the WD40 must have done some good as after a lot of persuasion I finally got the screw to turn and after a lot of turning backwards & forwards it finally unscrewed. That did not end the problem as even with the setting lever detached the stem would not remove - gripped the crown with the end cutters and gave a good pull and it broke the stem inside the movement and I  was able to remove it.

Turned out it is a front loader and the movement has to be removed from the dial side, third one of those I have struck this week.

Now back in the WD40 again to try and get the remnant stem out of the setting gears and the setting lever screw is still welded into the tube of the main plate it worked loose and came out as well.

post-1709-0-17278000-1456986600_thumb.jp

post-1709-0-06494000-1456986604_thumb.jp

post-1709-0-56194700-1456986606_thumb.jp