Help With Wittnauer Electro-Chron Battery Replacement

mook

Yeh. I'm nervous on this one because I don't have any specialty wrenches and I've heard there are two different types of cases on these. The first original type had hour and second increments on the dial, whereas the 2nd Gen you had to shrink the crystal. 2nd Gen had increments of hour, second, and half second.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

All you need is the wrench for the back. Check ebay, they have some very inexpensive ones that will fit. After the back is out, all you need is read the number on the old battery and find the replacement accordingly. From there it is just a swap: old for new...like in the Aladin story but in reverse. :)

yeah - the dreaded ten sided case back, i happened to have been able to remove mine with a set of calipers. crazy i know, but it worked.

on another note: that is a great looking watch! did you just get it or is it a long time favorite?

Edited by ramrod

The second generation doesn't have a removable back so you have to go in through the front but yours has a removable back as can be seen by the flats for a wrench on the back.

I see why you were a bit confused.

Mike

I was confused as I thought all 1st gens had the crazy hands. But if you look at the dial on mine it's a first gen style. This must be early first gen

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi,   My name is Simeon I am based in Sydney, Australia and have recently got into watch repair / watch making.  I am very much a learner having serviced multiple forgotten watches, some of which were actually successful!   I have a slowly growing collection of watches, mainly old Soviet, a few Japanese and (not pictured) some Raketas, a Poljot Alarm, an Omega Speedmaster Reduced and a vintage (1972) Tissot Seastar.  I like unloved vintage watches, with quirky faces and enjoy bringing them back to life through the simple(!) act of disassembly, clearing and reassembly. I am an Electrical Engineer who also undertook a trade apprenticeship so I am reasonably handy - It's fair to say, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. 
    • ha ha looks like a WMD.....you know I want one now  
    • Sorry to reopen a necro-thread (long dormant) - I have a Seiko Kinetic 5M42A that needs at least one coil, possibly both. Anyone know of any sources?  The usual fallback of eBay has failed me - there are people selling coils, but not the ones for this movement (which was apparently a very popular movement, used in Seiko and Pulsa branded watches.) The coil numbers are: 4002 516,  and 4002 519 I'd also love to find a source for spares of the screws used all over this movement - they're Seiko PN 0022 247 Thanks! (Moderator - if this should be a new thread, please do feel free to tell me, or drag this one into a new thread.) Don Eilenberger
    • Hi a read what you told me  but a still can't understand how to tell what way do you mean when you said the shape example?