Pocket And Wrister Collection

WileyDave

Here are some a few of the Dueber Hampden pocketwatches I have collected or were handed down. Mostly 12s and a few 16s, 4 are 21j. Also have some wristers in the bags.

In the box are some of my wearers, including: Longines 25j 994.1 cal, (last of the thins), some 4 & 5  jeweled Seiko quartz, Seiko 27j bellmatic, couple Seiko 5 Actus 21j autos, these are daily wearers. I do have a penchant for Seikos! Hey, how did that junky old Rolex get in there?!?!

Now you know why I started repairing.

:D

post-1800-0-69994000-1454939331_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-75915100-1454939352_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for sharing!  What ref # is your DateJust?  And what do you mean by "junky old" Rolex?  Is there such a thing?

I started watchmaking for the same reason....I could either employ myself full time or pay someone else to do it;)

Thanks Jeff for the compliment, that's why I didn't reference model or cal, it is a knockoff, but I know how purists feel about them, (rather not wear it at all... than a fake). I took it to a pro and he said it was a good fake, (if there is such a thing) you can tell by the dial, not really crisp lettering, no lum. Everything else looks and feels right and it does keep good time. (35+hours). I got it in a bag o' watches from an estate for $25, sold two of the watches, an old elgin and a swiss auto for $40, so WTH. I suppose I could throw it in a pile of junk and put it on the bay, but that wouldn't be right. Besides, I don't think there are too many who'd admit to buying something that turned out to be something else. Anyways congrats, you get the paying close attention award.

Like Dad used to say: "The punishment for lying is always greater than telling the truth".

Thanks again, Dave

• Like 1

Your honesty is priceless, thank you! (no bashing will ever take place with you, lol)  Not that you care but mine is a Ref. 1601;P  Since the Rolex is the "holy grail" of many people's collections, I tend not to wear it much since it is more desired by the world than me, lol. (I love it but it's certainly not my favorite)  Yours does look like a good one and I must confess; I own a SINGLE replica for those days that I get the "Daytona" itch;)  Since I cannot shell out $18k for that watch at the moment, the $600 replica I have works just as well for my needs since it is accurate and it looks good.  I went to the jeweler with it too (family friend) and the only thing he spotted of course was the movement. (it sports a Valjoux 7750 so all functions work like the real deal but it is no Rolex movement)  He said if I didn't let him open the watch, he would've thought it was genuine. (probably because he knows me and how I feel about replicas for the most part)  But, when one cannot afford it, one will go for a SOLID replica of one;)  That one Daytona is my only replica for a huge number reasons....

Your father was absolutely correct, which is why you read what you read above! (honesty is the best policy and it keeps you out of trouble in life)

Anyway, very nice collection!  I wish I could do the same regarding pics but my collection is a huge mess at the moment. (at least 20+ are still sitting in their OEM box, the rest is spread out between all kinds of boxes, display cases and the safes)  It's kind of a shame that I got this nuts with it but I always have plenty of options to choose from;)  If you ever are in need of pocket watch dials, I may be able to help you!  (I buy huge lots and have 10 extra dials or so)

Thanks, One day I'll find a real one, but just knowing the difference is worth the price of admission. Hell I'd take a 7750 movement in a plastic case! If I do wear mine, and someone notices it, I always take it off and hand it to them and ask, "Do you think it's real?".

Thanks for the dial offer...since I only have Hampdens, they are still avail in quantity. My problem is on the bay, which is where I do most of my fishin', sellers have figured out how to get rid of, well, for lack of a better word, "junk" by putting it with a desirable movement, more or less forcing you to buy what you don't want or need. I just recycle, problem with that is you can't fetch anything for elgin, walthams and the like, unless it's complete and working.

Good luck getting your stuff in order and do post a pic when you are done.

Dave

• Like 1

I've noticed it on Ebay too.  The other trick they are doing is just wrong wrong wrong.  They will put a fake Rolex or Tag on top of the "junk pile" and will claim they aren't watch experts and have not authenticated anything so it "might be real". (seriously, people believe that?)  This covers their butt and they can still rip someone off that has no clue....I see these lots go into the hundreds of dollars all for NOTHING!  That upsets me the most but there is nothing I can do but watch.

In terms of watches, I recycle almost everything!  I'm actually starting to build up a little watchmaker collection of screws, mainsprings, barrels, pallet forks, etc, etc. and am sure they will come in use.  Heck, I already needed to "borrow" a pallet fork from another Bulova due to an incident, lol.  I am not a certified watchmaker but the more time that passes, the more confident I feel about it...hopefully, you get into it as well!  I'd be happy to send a watch or two to you if you just want to "poke" around in there;)

Thanks, I'll need someone to say a prayer for me when I do clean up the collection, lol.  Funny, after I posted here, I went right to Amazon and bought 2 24 slot watch cases so I can take most of them out of the boxes and put them into a real display case;)  There are still 60 or so that need to be serviced....once I get those done, I will do a group picture or something:D  Until then, I will have my head buried in all these movements!!!

Edited by jeffc83

that's a great selection of pocketwatches, dave. you have a nice selection. i gotta get into PWs a bit more because i love them

as well as seikos like you do. i have 6 ACTUS5s and i want more. .....but only the 6106 cal. the 7109s do hack, which i like to have.

i know what you mean, jeff. one time not too long ago, i was looking at a watch lot to buy because she had a few seikos in it. i looked really closely and damn! there was a breitling navitimer in the mix. i thought it couldn't be. so i sent a message to her saying i would buy that large one with the nice dial. never heard back, and i didn't bid.  i'll never know what happened, but i can imagine it was the same scenario that you are describing.

@ramrod - I am 99.9% sure you had spotted one in the wild;)  It's a shame people resort to cheating and lying to get a little cash.  I'd rather be poor and honest, which is probably why I never make money when I sell on Ebay:D