Acier Garanti Wf 5677 "we Got (Another) One!!!!!!"

Well, to misquote Ghostbusters, anyhoo.

I have a small stock of watches left from my supplier (Corporation Recycling Operative), just retired.  My father uses the same "Unwanted Material Filing Executive" but keeps the big names and obvious profits to himself and (being a dyslexic old-boy) passes the cheap-stuff, "broken-crap" and unknowns on to me.

This falls under "broken-crap" to Dad and "unknown" to me.

Please look at the pictures I've been able to post.

The inside watch-case (hinged) is stamped as the title above.  I take this to mean "guaranteed steel" and serial/model number and that the case may well have been gun-metal.  The watch winds but will not run (I've not wound it far), needs a glass and polishing/bluing to within an inch of its life.  However, my questions...

• What is the "WF" - I assume a maker?
  • What mechanism is fitted?  It looks jewelled to me and is beautifully laid out but bears no info
  • There's a monogram/shield/symbol on the rear showing what appears to be a stylised "H" in an "Inri" style fish.
  • Is it a serial/model number that can be traced?
  • The only markings what looks like an "R" and an "A" (or "I" or "L") and a graded scale for adjustment.
  • The "Isolator" button frees the hands for setting nice and easily.

ANY help on provenance, maker, mechanism, materials and value (or even a few "what the f###, never even seen one) would help!

FINALLY

Yes, the £1 coin's obviously a fake.  I only noticed whilst looking at these pics.  WHO is SO broke it's worth the manpower hours and lead-bill to fake pound-coins?!?!"?!"

post-1610-0-94014400-1454348400_thumb.jp

post-1610-0-02178200-1454348407_thumb.jp

post-1610-0-01517100-1454348416_thumb.jp

post-1610-0-01004100-1454348424_thumb.jp

Considering the state of the watch, the WF is easy to guess! :) Sorry, I couldn't resist! :) But my knowledge is not big on pocket watches...or any other watch type for instance...lot to learn! I would venture a company name that might or might not have ever dealt with watches, either for promotion/employee farewell or custom made for them: Wells Fargo. How about that as a guess?!

Other than that, I'll let our pocket watch experts to tell all about it....and I like the watch a lot, I only wish it had a seconds hand (a small one at 6) and maybe incabloc...too much to ask? For all I know you may have a valuable classic there.

Cheers,

Bob

Your right ro63rto its gun metal. Think its Swiss and called a 5 bar movement which has a cylinder escapement, with these the escapement doesn't have pallets. Setting the hands you press in the little stud at the top next to the large winding button. Yes it is jewelled which takes it to be better than a movement that is not. This is a mass produced movement, I don't know about the WF. Removing the movement turn the screw that looks as if part of the head is missing so the head is in line with the movement and a light push should release the movement from the case. This falls under "broken-crap" to Dad. I agree with him. Little or no value I'm sorry to say.

Thank you Oldhippy, you've actually made me happier than if you'd said "don't touch it!  Sell it as is!" as it means I can now play with this little item.  It's been a long while since I blued anything!

I'd still love to know what the emblem is thought but am assuming it's a lesser-known family emblem.

If there is rust (iron oxide) on the case it's not gunmetal.

Gunmetal is a form of bronze/brass/copper (a number of variations) so it will not display normal rust symptoms as you have shown.

If the case is iron steel, it will take to cleaning and blueing as the same as a rifle barrel.

Be sure to remove the movement and strip all case parts apart before cleaning and blueing.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by JimInOz
  • Like 1

If there is rust (iron oxide) on the case it's not gunmetal.

Gunmetal is a form of bronze/brass/copper (a number of variations) so it will not display normal rust symptoms as you have shown.

If the case is iron steel, it will take to cleaning and blueing as the same as a rifle barrel.

Be sure to remove the movement and strip all case parts apart before cleaning and blueing.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you, will do!