Seiko 7548-700F Problem Prior To Repair

Sounds like a worn sliding pinion and also a worn setting lever?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Actually I think you were right. Could not help myself, after snow plowing 6 driveways, my neighbours, I jumped back at it and found that there is a plate that that controls the stem position and this plate has a rail where a small knob from another pivot plate fits. Sorry for the lack of technical terms; I am sitting at coffee and do not have the breakout drawing with me. I had not hooked another keying plate onto a point on the movement and this caused the plate to lift up the part i needed to slide into the rail. FIXED. Tonight I will complete the build.

From Canada

• Like 1

Well done JD.

If the minute hand is flat, you could tighten it by shrinking the hole by peining very carefully with a round ended punch. Centre the round end of the punch in the hole and tap gently with a very light hammer. Try the fit after tap until it fits tightly. If you over do it, you will have to ream the hole to get it to fit.

If the minute hand has a tube, you can pinch it carefully until it grips.

No tube on these Seiko hands. just s small lip. As mentioned in another thread these usually give no problem after been given a gentle adjustment.

Can you point me to that thread? I just order the new hands. Shame to restore the watch to 98%. I just received the bezel insert and new crystal and will finish with the case this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last thing. The new Bezel insert for the diver snaps in but rotates a bit. Should I glue it down? The last one I purchased to repair another 7548 snapped in very tight. This one will fall out if I do nothing? If I do glue it, what type glue or is their another technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both actually. They come in a pack and you have to mix the two together. It forms a very solid resinous glue that hardens over a few hours. You can get some quick drying ones that do it in a few minutes.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Latest project was a non-running ebay purchase with an FHF70 movement. I stripped and cleaned it, reassembled it, and got it running. So far so good, nothing damaged AFAIK.  I was oiling the top jewel on the balance (the one in the cock) which was a slightly unusual shock setting. I removed the spring (3 leaves) which was part of a chaton holding the cap jewel. This left the hole jewel behind which I retrieved with rodico and then lost it. I was taking it off the rodico, very gently as I thought, with tweezers, and then it just disappeared.  Fast forward a week, I got a donor movement, non-running, with the plan to just take the shock jewel that I’d lost. It was the same movement but had standard incabloc settings, and was steel rather than copper/brass.  I changed the cock and balance complete and it ran, not very well. I switched the lower jewel setting, cleaned and oiled both jewels and the replacement balance. Without the pallet fork the balance swings very nicely with a puff of air. With the fork in place, balance out, it flicks side to side nicely with power in the mainspring.  Put them together and it doesn’t run. The impulse jewel sits in the fork and it stops.      Any suggestions how I proceed? In case you didn’t follow that I have 2 FHF70 movements, nothing broken as far as I can tell, but mixing up the balance wheels and jewel settings results in a non runner. 
    • Oh and this almost perfect third wheel pivot and slightly set mainspring  Ah ok yes i see what you mean, good idea. I'll try that if i fluff this one up. The image isn't great quality but i like the idea though.
    • Why cut the paper, cut a square around the image and grind to it. 
    • I did try that last time Rich , i traced the image from the Bestfit book which is the actual size. But its more difficut to cut the shape from paper than it is to grind the steel to shape. This way is pretty easy and the final shaping is done when fitting the part. There are a couple of things i will do differently next time, clamping the 2 pieces together with a drill press will help to hold while scribing the shape in. This was a bit tricky having only one hole, if using the pins and cork the drill size needs to match the pin diameter so there is no movement at all from the template. This movement hasn't finished frying me yet, damaged thread in the plate crown wheel hole and two rubbed in cracked jewels, thats gonna be much more fun.
    • 👍 Whats not to follow OH ?  You're every inch a pro and a true gent, i always enjoy reading your answers even some of the clock stuff that i dont have a clue about.