Case Polishing

ramrod

well, that makes me feel a bit better. i've been doing it with a dremel, sanding discs and a hard felt polishing wheel. and, i'm rather impressed with the results. but the corners are a tad soft and that's what i like about a pro buffing and polishing. they can restore the corners to that nice crisp look. also, they can get a better brushed finish on the top of the cases. at least when i do it, my time is basically free and materials are not that much money.

one member on another forum showed how he gets that nice brushed finish. he takes a junk caseback, drills a hole in it and threads a rod into it. that's attached to a drill and screwed onto a case. he spins the drill and places it into steel wool. voila - brushed finish.

i've gotta try that.

Yes I think that money is better spent acquiring more tools and being this our hobby time should be an issue. This is not a watch collector/owner forum after all. I was thinking getting a bench polishing motor but for now I'm happy with the results I have got even without.

To understand professional polishing I have some links below. I was at a lecture once the individual talked about restoring typically Rolex watches back to their original condition visually. A whole variety of specialized wheels to get the various satin finishes. A lot of time spent researching what the watch originally look like. They spend as much time restoring the cases they do the watch which is why a watch repair seems extremely expensive until you realize your basically getting a new watch.

But it's amazing what you can do with other tools if you understand what you're trying to do. So even though we don't have the nice equipment in the video you can see some of the techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnJe2jANms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMuWrI-sCj8

• Like 1

i've seen several members (either on this forum or possibly another) that had the proper equipment to refinish their cases. it was amazing the work that was done!

i've watched both of these videos before (and i just watched them again - thank you) because they are very informative.

my main concern is getting the angles as sharp as possible. it's something that is hard to do.

well, if it's extremely expensive to get cases refinished, i'm gonna have to be content with doing what i can by myself, then.