Wooden Watches!

Once in a while something comes along that just blows my mind, and this certainly is one.

post-124-0-86444300-1449696130_thumb.jpe

I have studied hundreds of watch movements and as an engineer have been in complete awe of many, but these wooden creations are right up there as far as complexity and skill of manufacture is concerned.

More information can be found here:-

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/07/wooden-watches-by-valerii-danevych/

Is it carved or molded out of compressed wood? It looks like what a Klingon would wear as a watch. Very cool and, if it was featured in a Sci-Fi movie, it would be as an "antique"! Oh, whatever, old man's rambling here....I love the watch!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Just visited the site. Not pressed wood but real one, and Danevych makes all sort of watches and clocks amazing looks and detail! Impressive this type of workmanship and skill.

i love it! i wonder what the change in humidity would do to it, tho. this kind of craftsmanship is just about unparalleled anywhere.

a bit OT, i was watching a NOVA program about finding latitude. one of the clockmakers featured - actually the person that the story revolved around - made a wooden clock back in the 1700's.  it still runs today somewhere in the UK in, i believe, a church. it's wound every eight days and keeps accurate time. imagine 200 or so year old wood that is still going.

i wonder what these wooden watches sound like.

Edited by ramrod

made a wooden clock back in the 1700's.  it still runs today somewhere in the UK in, i believe, a church. it's wound every eight days and keeps accurate time. imagine 200 or so year old wood that is still going.

Here you go:- http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/photo/brocklesbury-park-stables-and-clock-this-high-res-stock-photography/126604634

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.