Estate Sale Find Repair

16 hours ago, DieselBurner said:

Looks to be a Hermle movement, so not too old.  

Lol!  Not even close! 😆  It's a Sam Hueng movement.  A Korean firm.  So I think this is post-war, 1940-1960?  Maybe pre-Korean war since it doesn't say "South Korea?" 

The chime side winds clockwise, but the power side winds counter-clockwise.  Looks like someone has been trying to wind the power side clockwise for who knows how many years and the spring was been unwound to the state you see in the pictures.  It doesn't seem damaged though, and I was able to wind it in the correct direction.

20240524_131221.jpg

20240524_144711.jpg

20240524_145713.jpg

20240524_145807.jpg

20240524_152454.jpg

The case style and the movement are in the style of American. If you take it apart you will need mainspring clamps as the springs are strong and very long 

220011_Anglo_American_wm6.jpg

il_fullxfull.4156488851_t9d1.jpg

• Like 1

To my untrained eyes, wheel 1 does not look too bad. Wheel 2 appears to be showing some wear on the left hand face of the teeth. Wheel 3 appears to be a little bit worse than wheel 2 in the same place.

The faces on the pinion on wheel 3 appear to be rolled over/deformed as well.

I'm not sure what the tooth profile should be, but I think the wheels are showing some wear.

It might be the angle of the photos though.

• Like 1

This is quite common with these clocks. The problem cause the springs are so powerful but the brass? is soft so wear occurs on one side of the teeth. Clean up the bur and with needle files shape them a little but do not file them shorter as the depth will be wrong and they will not run smooth.  Your photo doesn't show it but I expect the wheel train has lantern pinions which can take wear so the pivots can be loose in there holes a little more than the fixed type. This is the style of lantern pinions.

download.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

To my untrained eyes, wheel 1 does not look too bad. Wheel 2 appears to be showing some wear on the left hand face of the teeth. Wheel 3 appears to be a little bit worse than wheel 2 in the same place.

The faces on the pinion on wheel 3 appear to be rolled over/deformed as well.

I'm not sure what the tooth profile should be, but I think the wheels are showing some wear.

It might be the angle of the photos though.

Your untrained eye is very perceptive!  Wheel 1 isn't too bad.  It is the last wheel in the train so maybe it doesn't get as much power to wear the teeth?  The teeth on wheels 2 and 3 are both rolled a bit on the worn edge, wheel 3 more than 2.    

23 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is quite common with these clocks. The problem cause the springs are so powerful but the brass? is soft so wear occurs on one side of the teeth. Clean up the bur and with needle files shape them a little but do not file them shorter as the depth will be wrong and they will not run smooth.  Your photo doesn't show it but I expect the wheel train has lantern pinions which can take wear so the pivots can be loose in there holes a little more than the fixed type. This is the style of lantern pinions.

They are lantern pinions.  I'll check the pivots of the pinions and file the burrs off of the wheel teeth.  Thanks for the insight! 

Hi there is a definite wear pattern but follow old Hippys advice and face up the teeth and don’t shorten them , check the bushings and pivots also. If they are lantern pinions and worn they can br replaced easy enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

The small pinion that is on wheel 3 is a normal gear pinion.

Did clockmakers mix the two types of pinion in the one movement?

The non-lantern pinion and wheel combo are actually for the motion works.  It drives the center wheel.  Both the power and chime trains (including the regulator) are all lantern pinion style.  The trundles in the lantern pinions all look to have no direct wear from the wheels - no rutting evident under magnification. 

• Like 1