Dives watch

have a question you already know I'm still learning watch repair my question was what watch movements are except able to be a dives watch meaning is just the qaurtz movements and automatic movement can be a dives watch can a mechanical movement be a dives watch ?

it's not the movement. It's the case for a watch for diving it has to withstand being in water and typically the watch companies like to brag about how deep the watch can go. So basically they will make watches that go so deep that the diver could not possibly where the watch because they can't go that deep.

• Like 1

I mean let's say a was to make a dives watch is this mean as long the case is a dives case and a fits the movement it should be ok and is this means any movement longs it fit the dives case?

39 minutes ago, Murks said:

as long the case is a dives case and a fits the movement it should be ok

Murks,

In theory, yes. For example I have a Seiko dress watch (dress style case) with a 6309 movement in it which I would not take diving, similarly, I have a Seiko divers watch with the same movement in it (6309) which is a diving watch. The only difference is the case (and crown sealing system), the diving watch case is made for diving due to it's more robust seal system on the case and its a more rugged design.

Seiko 6309 divers watch:

image.png.7e9518644de3663dff53cf2fdfd686bd.png

Seiko 6309 dress watch:

image.png.34f6bba18dcb991091195ee378530b1c.png

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 2

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• For me any input from Mark would be great. If he's keeping a close eye i would imagine he has read about our concerns here. But specifically i would like to know if he is ok with us collecting each others contact information for those of us that wish to provide them. 
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Thank you!   Yes I did. I did not notice a difference. Although 9415 is advertised as a thixotropic grease (and I did had high hopes for it), the only advantage at this point I see is that its “easier” to apply than an oil (if one does not use epilame). But this is subjective, I guess. What I did notice though, if you apply a bit too much grease, that definitely slows down the movement. Oil in this case is a bit more forgiving, as its super thin, and it would usually just spread out.  Again, imho.
    • Mark keeps a close eye on his forum. I'm sure if you asked him he will reply, he might not do it right away but you will receive his answer.  
    • I kind of think the same, the surface under the oil is the same as the surface around the oil. Can epilame both repel and attract , that doesn't quite make sense in simple terms, but is it more complicated than that. When cohesive forces within a liquid are stronger than the adhesive forces of a surface then surface tension is high causing the liquid to bead up. So  an applied epilame coating reduces the adhesive force of a surface inhibiting a fluid to wet the surface. So i guess no epilame cannot both repel and attract . If something is keeping the oil in place on top of an epilamed surface then there must be another reason for that.