Setting power reserve on LeCoultre Futurematic

Hi everyone, 

I have a LeCoultre Futurematic with a Caliber 497, like the one in the photo. I am setting the hand for the power reserve sub-dial and am a little confused on how the power reserve indicator is supposed to read. Where is the hand supposed to be when the reserve is at 0 (ie. the watch is not working)? 

Thanks in advance.

2265-LeCoultreFutramatic-A_grande.jpg

I don't know myself.  But what you could do is temporarily put the hand on right in the middle between red and blue, the wind the watch only a few turns, and see which way the hand moves.  It'll move toward "0" power.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:51 AM, KarlvonKoln said:

I don't know myself.  But what you could do is temporarily put the hand on right in the middle between red and blue, the wind the watch only a few turns, and see which way the hand moves.  It'll move toward "0" power.

*I meant to say toward maximum power.  It will move toward that.

• Thanks 1

I've seen a movement with a power reserve indicator in a video, and with that one, the dial mechanism self-set once fully wound.

I'd try fully winding the watch then fit the indicator hand pointing at the 9 o'clock position, let it run down and adjust slightly if needed to equalise the scale ends.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems setting the hand is a bit of a guessing game, and I thought there would be a very specific way to do it.

Since the reserve indicator hand moves clockwise as the spring is wound, I tried setting it right at the start of the black side. But setting it there doesn't really make sense, because by the time the spring is halfway wound, the hand is only at the end of the red side... In my head halfway wound shouldn't mean the hand is still "in the red."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• From the UK I bought cheap tiny vials of 9010, 9104 (HP1300), 9415 and 8217 from ebayer dondy0114 in this listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276048651571 They came in their tiny containers exactly as pictured and I can see no contamination under my cheap "20x" eyeglass. I've done a few watches and have no reason to doubt the authenticity, but also no way to check it! The seller speaks of taking care over expiry dates. As a mere tinkerer I'm confident enough. And although it might work out at three times the price per ml, the tiny amounts are enough for a few watches per year almost indefinitely! So it's a good buy for someone like me.  
    • I have been reading and reading.  Videos, more reading.  Yes, I should start with an ST36 but for some reason I look at the box of watches I already have and wonder if I should buy a new movement.  I have a few of these 11DP watches and picked up a parts watch on eBay.  It runs but amplitude visually appears to be 120 degrees best and often a slow 90 degrees or less. It does run, just very slow.   I currently intend this movement to be my introduction.  They seem plentiful.  And, I would wear one proudly if I ever get it to run.  I think that is the appeal vs. a ST36. My questions: Photos.  I try to use my iPhone but suspect I need a magnification device to attach to it to have useful photos.  This is to memorialize the take down.   Parts.  With all I have read and watched I don't see how people keep everything separated.   My eyes cannot see always that a screw is just a bit different.  What is a newbie to do in an effort to keep everything labeled and segregated? I have purchased a first cut of tools and worked on getting old family quartz watches going by replacing movements.  No cleaning yet.  No demagnification yet.  a 10x loupe is the only magnification.  I think I might be aided with a 5x.  Oils, parts organizers, demagnification tools and a 5x loupe.  And a decent 4040 movement holder which was out of stock and the cheap one is junk!   Movement ok?   Best method of image capture? Storing parts, screws? More loupe options?    What am I missing?  
    • I think that would have worked but the tweezers did the job.    It didn’t. It did pop out a tiny bit but not enough for the wrench 
    • Thanks @tomh207 indeed it made sense that one is better off with a too long than too short stem as it can be shortened but not lengthened.  I think I’ll reopen the watch and as you mention creep toward the correct length of the stem.  I’ll also regulate the watch a bit. Compared to before I disassemble and reassembled it it the amplitude seem correct but it acquired a small beat error and where it was before running at +5s per day dial up and -? (Single digit don’t remember which) sideways it is now running at -4s dial up and a -7s sideways. I think I must have moved the regulator a bit inadvertently.