Hello at last!

Hello! I’ve been lurking off and on since I started learning to repair watches in 2019. I’ve had a lifelong interest in watches and in how things work; a friend at the office encouraged me to take a one-evening intro class at the NY Horological Society and introduced me to Mark Lovick’s online videos.

Three levels of Mark’s classes, a pile of tools, and a few handfuls of watches later, here I am. My proudest achievements so far were a Seiko 2205 refurbished for my mom (currently my profile photo) and servicing a Seiko 8306 without any tech sheets — still haven’t found those!

Many thanks to those of you whose posts I’ve read and learned from. Looking forward to asking dumb questions (and hopefully some wise ones) of my own as I work on too many project watches at once!

Thanks for the welcomes! I have indeed looked at the Seiko data sheets page @oldhippy, and gotten a number of useful sheets. But even though it seems a longer list than I remember, I still only see a parts list. But with a lot of photos taken during the strip-down I managed it. Being a newbie, and it being a little different than other Seiko movements I’d worked on, I was pleasantly successful!

8 hours ago, 3beet said:

Thanks for the welcomes! I have indeed looked at the Seiko data sheets page @oldhippy, and gotten a number of useful sheets. But even though it seems a longer list than I remember, I still only see a parts list. But with a lot of photos taken during the strip-down I managed it. Being a newbie, and it being a little different than other Seiko movements I’d worked on, I was pleasantly successful!

Cameras are so handy these days and they take good photos. In my time you had to write it all down or have a good memory you could also lay it all out in a way you took it apart, but when it was all in the cleaning machine that was pointless. You will find after taking a few movements apart it will come to you and you will be able to take apart movements and put all the parts back and you won't even think about it. Good luck.

Edited by oldhippy