Well preserved Illinois 4s 11 jewel pocket watch which Is part of my collection.

This is grade 131 Illinois guilt movement made in 1887. I purchased this watch in a lot of two pocket watches at an estate auction a few years ago, it was tagged with a paper tag which made me think it had been part of someone else's collection.

This watch is in immaculate shape especially considering the age, the thin glass crystal is perfect with a flawless dial. I performed no work on the case other than an ultrasonic cleaning.

The movement was not running and was full of sewing machine oil or something like that. It needed a pallet jewel and I put in a "better" mainspring out of another grade 131 movement.

Later on, I adjusted the mean time screws so that I could centre the regulator as it was running 1 minute fast set all the way slow. I seem to recall it was fairly accurate, but It was awhile ago, and it is not a watch I wear frequently.

illinois.jpg

957hlyvx68fa1.jpg

z13l4zvx68fa1.jpg

0ffa2zvx68fa1.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Here is a a list of the types of American pocket watch Crystals. It might interest you.

https://www.daveswatchparts.com/pwcrystals.html

I've been using the UV glue with a UV lamp but the idea of heating the bezel up is interesting, I would be worried about the crystal cracking on cooling if it was a thin crystal. I've installed mineral glass crystals in place of ahistorical plastic ones on several antique watches.