Hello I'm new to the forum.

Hey I'm new here. I joined hoping for a community where it would be possible to gain advice and instruction from more experienced individuals.

I've been interested in antique clocks for many years and have been collecting and repairing watches in the last 5 years. I have had sucesses and failures but now have a collection of pocket and wristwatches which I have repaired myself.

My only instruction has been from books and online information.

I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade and do this as a hobby.

Often when working on a watch I see things or notice things that I just wish I could ask someone "is this normal" "should it be like that?" and so on.

I have many projects that are "cold cases" because they are missing parts or require parts that I cannot find, most swiss watches from the 40s-50s that I cannot find parts for or don't know the maker/calibre.

Thanks!

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

I have a lot of experience in clocks & watches but clocks are more interesting for me but not modern runs on a battery rubbish.

This should be helpful for you.   

704789946_TZIllustratedGlossary(2).pdf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• That's a good idea to use a little soft solder - I don't think riveting is going to work in this location.   Looks like I also need to bush the star wheel/snail, that's a bit more challenging.
    • You have a WW style Leinen, which is a good thing! This is the larger width Webster Whitcomb type bed, they also made a model called Reform with the same shape but narrower. It's been my experience that tailstocks for these are completely standardized and one will fit any lathe and line up correctly with the head. This isn't necessarily the case for other makers. A collet holding tailstock is worth looking for, even at the prices they command. The one thing to check is that the locking lever is straight and black, like yours. Earlier Leinens had a slightly different bed dimension, a little larger in width I think?, but those tailstocks won't work. They can be identified by their locking lever, which is bulbous in the middle, and chromed.   The tapers in watchmaker lathe tailstocks are a bit all over the place; I haven't found a reliable source of the actual specs for different makers.   Do you have the shoe for the slide? This is what fits it to the bed; it slides into the recess in the bottom of the slide.   For tool posts, a quick-change is the most useful. Tripan makes an excellent one, at a Swiss price. There is a new maker of high quality watchmaker lathes in China, but they don't have a website- you have to contact them over Instagram. Their handle is watchmakerlathe there. A friend has one of their machines and it's very nice, and their tool post is also very nice and I think less than half the price of Tripan.
    • Thanks...ill get to the watch soon and measure/take photos....its very sad a business would do this to a kid but i guess they figured that i wouldnt know what to do...they were right...i only hope i can get it back to what it should be
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. We will need measurements if the case to try and find a suitable movement/ dial.  I'm sorry to say that you were almost definitely ripped off. 
    • Hi all I have always had an interest in old watch's and used to live in New Zealand but from the age of 9 lived in australia. One day when i was about 17 (now 60) my dad gave me his fathers watch that he wore in the trenchs in WW1. It had suffered being in that environment and had a broken glass and didnt work but i noticed it was a rolex. when i was about 20 i took it in to the agent for rolex in melbourne to have it repaired and was told it had a broken mainspring but that they wouldnt repair it/or couldnt? So in the mid 80's i took it to my local watchmaker/jeweler McMasters in errol st north melbourne Victoria for repair. The owner said it could be done....some weeks later i received a phone call to come in to collect the watch and that there was good news and bad news. On entering i was told that the movement and dial had been lost but the good news is that they had put in a new dial with a movado movement !!!! I was a kid of 21 and didnt know what i could do...they still charged me for the repair and i left dumbfounded and dejected... Some years later i was told by a more knowledgable man that my watch/movement was rare and he believed it was simply taken... I have thought about this for many years and now with the internet...and me with more money...have decided to try and find the right movement and dial for the case.. Is it possible to find and buy what i need? im hoping so as id like to pass on the watch to my sisters son who now serves in the airforce (RAAF) The watch is stored away safely but i will get it out and photograph it so that it helps identify what i need....hope someone can help Regards Andy Murray PS my grandfather started off with the artillery and then was transferred to grantham and trained in machine guns...i have his service record,discharge cert and machine gun badge as well as photos etc