Hairspring/balance Cleaning

perpetual92

Folks, I'm running the mainplate with the balance/cock installed thru some Zenith cleaning/rinse.  I do have some "One Dip" on hand to clean the cap jewels and was thinking that since I will have to remove the balance to assemble the movement I will just dunk the whole balance/hairspring/cock in this cleaner for a second or two.  Then carefully dry with a hand pump blower.

Is the One Dip safe on the roller jewel ? Just dont want the solution to loosen it in anyway. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sure, Perpetual, just dip them once! :)  Just kidding!

It is perfectly OK, I've done it a few times. I also use L&R extra fine and my ultrasonic machine for most everything. In the case of the balance wheel, after I clean the main plate, I attach said balance to it and cycle it by itself. For the cap jewels and such, I use ronsonol and agitate the fluid, gently, with the blower. Note that before doing anything, my first step is peg the jewels where applicable.

Hope it helps, Cheers,

Bob

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I kind of think the same, the surface under the oil is the same as the surface around the oil. Can epilame both repel and attract , that doesn't quite make sense in simple terms, but is it more complicated than that.
    • I agree with @JohnR725. Oil on an epilamed surface is essentially the same as water on a waxed surface. The same physical properties are at work (surface tension vs. adhesion). 
    • I think we all get a lot out of this group, and it has been pivotal in my development by the sharing of knowledge, experience and learning from more seasoned experts such as @JohnR725 and others (you know who you are!) as well as fellow novices. I think that having a backup communication plan in reserve so that if there is a future problem just makes good sense. I don't think anyone is trying to undermine the forum, but if something unthinkable happens, like the Ranfft website for example, then it would be good if those who are willing can still keep in contact. Speaking personally, and I know I risk a charge of heresy, it would be good if Mark could be a little more visible in this forum, and maybe give any insight from time to time on the future/progress of forum and instructional videos etc. even if its just to confirm the status quo. I appreciate he is a busy man with a full time job, but so are most of the rest of us and to post a few lines every now and then shouldn't be too much to ask to reassure the restless villagers. Best outcome for me would be a message saying something along the lines of: "Hi guys, all good, no planned changes... enjoy the forum, will message again next month!" Just my two cents.
    • A nice looking watch !! Did you try 9010, instead of the 9415, on the pallet jewels / escape wheel? And if you did, did you notice a difference?
    • Knocked out another 404 last night...when you are in the zone! This watch was a non-runner which I picked up as part of a lot of 8 watches, so works out to be $3.12 per watch. Before:   And the finished watch, new crown and stem and the crystal was cracked so was replaced. I also replaced the mainspring as the original was the old steel type spiral and very 'set' - all else is original: The Movement was a AS 1686, but in reading around a little the ACCRO watch company were sued for their use of the five point crown on their Jacques Pere range as it resembled Rolex, see below: ACCRO then reverted to just ACCRO on their watches - I have done some sniffing around the internet and haven't seen another example of ACCRO and the crown together on a dial so maybe I have something unusual, or maybe I was looking in the wrong places 🙂.