Hey watch peeps,  hope we are all well. Its not often i ask but i need some help or just thoughts really what to do here. I have ideas but someone might come up with something that works better. So the Timex belonged to my sister's husband who passed away last year. She bought him this when he started his career as a prison officer over 40 years ago and he wore it every day for work until it no longer ran. So obviously it has extreme sentimental value, the plan was for me to get it running again so she can pass it down to her daughter who was born around the same time that her father started his job. Taking the back off, I've run into a problem, corrosive damage from the battery that has been in there for years. The circuit board might be too far gone and the + battery tab is missing broken off, but I'm attempting to clean it up using a carbon stick and a small paintbrush to apply contact cleaner. Struggling to identify the movement which dates to 1979 presents the problem of finding a donor, there is a number of 880 on the inside of the case which might relate. Any advice on cleaning up and tab repair  would be greatly appreciated, i dont want to remove the circuit board unless absolutely necessary as its soldered to the coil which is very different to ones I've come across before and has a huge magnet sat on top of it.

20240128_141925.jpg

20240128_141859.jpg

20240128_141844.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

here is the watch in 1979 catalog .   It been awhile since I worked on that movement but recall not having much luck once corrosion has done damage.

your best bet maybe to find a donor watch.   

image.thumb.png.6e34d4df1ad6a015d1fc4c35d0bed8b7.png

ok, now its not me bugged that I don't remember the movement number.   Will do some cobweb clearing!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

here is the watch in 1979 catalog .   It been awhile since I worked on that movement but recall not having much luck once corrosion has done damage.

your best bet maybe to find a donor watch.   

ok, now its not me bugged that I don't remember the movement number.   Will do some cobweb clearing!

Thanks Mo i did find some reference to 800 series but they were electronic with  balance wheel. The coil shape is unusal to me, circular instead of cylinder with a big magnet stuck on a bridge slapped on top of it which i removed and then had real fun getting it back on. Cleaned up the circuit and supplied some power and the rotor is twitching like crazy . Both battery terminals were broken off so not sure what do yet. The model is 57319 and the dial says Taiwan . I might have found a donor , but not working, the code on the chip is different though.

M43 is the movement type

1 minute ago, JerseyMo said:

M43 is the movement type

hmm - or maybe m55.  ah come on Mo clear you brain

ok, it has the calendar that makes a difference.  it is M56

found one for ya

image.thumb.png.62b349f35e7438b68b103f62d7d87836.png

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It looks very different Mo, could it be an alternative model ?

41 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

M43 is the movement type

found one for ya

No i think thats the right one m43

11 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi @Neverenoughwatches  I think it’s an m43.   You may be able to get more info on. Heritage 1854 web site . They seem exclusively Timex. Have a shifty.   As far as I know there is no manual   And it was made in Taiwan.

Looks right thanks WW

Thanks Mo and WW, this gives me something to work with now. Its alive but very jittery. 

52 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

M43 is the movement type

found one for ya

Thanks mo I'm amazed there are unused movements the m43 and m56 look identical .

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, CYCLOPS said:

its the one, no second hand either, put your calendar on it and done, now you will need a stem and crown....

It is that one but I'm in the uk, only non working ones here. The one in the watch needs a lot of repair, both battery terminals were snapped off. There is some movement from the rotor which is just a switch to move the minute hand once with each activation of it. Its very inconsistent when I supply power, i think I've traced it to the coil, very high resistance reading. Its looking like i need a donor movement. 

• Like 1