Cleaning/replacing/... a mainspring when still learning the ropes

Hi everyone,

I wondered what your suggestions would be for someone starting out in the hobby.

When you haven't got mainspring winders yet do you best:

• Just leave it in the barrel and assemble everything after cleaning the rest
  • Take it out, measure it and buy a new one (don't know if that's feasible for older watches)
  • Take it out, measure it and get an appropriate mainspring winder
  • Something else....

Thanks for the advice!

You could just buy a couple of the most common sizes. Best Chinese sets are allegedly good. Manual mainsprings are easy to wind by hand but automatic springs are trickier because of the bridle in the end. Buying new springs is also an option. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Hi everyone,

I wondered what your suggestions would be for someone starting out in the hobby.

• Take it out, measure it and buy a new one (don't know if that's feasible for older watches)
  • Something else....

Thanks for the advice!

Watch the YouTube videos in how to hand wind.

It was 15 month before I obtained a set of winders. Only used them unsuccessfully since. 

Hi Maloccio has given the options, I still do it by hand, but if you are not sure just buy the winder to suit you purpose at the time. That way over time you will build a collection of the ones you use the most and. Not some ornaments which never get used.

1 hour ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Hi everyone,

• Something else....

Thanks for the advice!

All depends what you are working on. If the right mainspring is available and the money to buy one each time isn't an issue then a new one would be the best option. Downside is you dont get to aquire the skill of winding mainsprings. Which eventually if you work on a lot of old watches you will need.

28 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I still do it by hand,

Yey old timer, my hero 👍

1 hour ago, LuigiMeister2800 said:

Hi everyone,

• Something else....

Thanks for the advice!

In my eyes leaving it in the barrel isn't an option, when I started i thought about it and i tried it. I soniced the barrel upside down in the hope it would clean it, it did but not to an acceptable level at all. No way are between the coils gonna get clean or all of the bottom of the barrel. You have to bite the bullet and just get stuck in, have it out and hand wind it back in if there's no option of a winder. Practice ,practice and practice and when you're done practicing......... you've guessed it , practice some more.

• Like 2

I think you should acquire some mainspring winders, you use/need them in the future, hand winding is a last resort for what ever reason, too much distortion especially from beginners, I think sometimes it is better to hand clean with arbor out and reassemble than hand wind, but I have winders so just my opinion.....new is a great option like Neverenough said...