Smiths Westminster Chimes Question

Michael20

I have owned a Smiths Worthing Westminster Chimes clock for a while, when I first acquired it I removed the movement and did a visual inspection, all looked good so I oiled the movement then removed all 3 barrels, removed the springs, cleaned and oiled them and reassembled everything. The clock keeps good time and strikes and chimes correctly. I recently bought a Smiths Canterbury Westminster Chimes clock, I haven't had a chance to inspect the movement yet but it keeps good time and strikes and chimes as it should, so I might just leave well enough alone. I have noticed that the speed of the Canterbury chimes is much faster than the Worthing chimes, the clocks are approximately the same age and the movements look identical. I guess it could just be that the chime spring in the Canterbury is in better condition than the one in the Worthing, but then I got to wondering, are the going strike and chime springs in these clocks all the same strength and if not, did I mix them up when I replaced them. Any ideas?

With chiming clock movements the spring for the chiming side is much stronger and bigger and the barrel is bigger and arbor So I don't think you have made a mistake. What you need to be careful with is the going and strike springs they can be the same. Always keep the barrels, springs and arbors separate. Get your self three plastic tubs so you have all the strike side in one and so on. 

• Like 1