Omega Deville 166.033 Cal. 565 - Replacement Plexiglass Crystal and hands

Hi All,

I am hoping someone more learned may be able to assist me in sourcing a replacement Acrylic crystal for the above mentioned Omega Deville. It was given to me to try and get going and I quickly saw that it was missing the sweep seconds hand and the hour hand is misshapen.  To boot, it looks like someone previously did not realise the watch opens at the front and gashed the rear of the case before attempting to remove the crystal by removing the crystal and not the retaining ring.....this has resulted in 3  marked chips in the plexiglass.

The rest of the watch is in good condition, movement is running ok, however I will service it as it's had dust creep in from the ill fitted crystal post damage.

I would like to keep things original where able and am unable to source parts I need for this fix with my very limited knowledge of places that one can find such things. I am aware of the Swatch Group issues with parts to suppliers  and Cousins (who I have shopped with for other parts) are showing the hands as "restricted" and not for sale to me I presume...? 

The crystal CY-OM063PX5087 below from Perrins looks perfect dimensionally however the tension ring needs to be silver and not gold.

https://perrinwatchparts.com/products/omega-genuine-original-crystals-cy-om063px5087

I would be grateful for any assistance in sourcing the above hands and Crystal to restore a watch that belonged to my friend's late grandfather who was himself a watch repairer. I presume he never got around to fixing this one and it would be a treat to my friend to wear it. 

Happy watch fixing everyone.

Cheers,

Manny

Omega I casing numbers are interesting in that they're not an exact thing. Then you usually have to modify the number if you want to find your apart because the decimal point is not really a decimal point. In other words you have three digits with something that looks like a decimal point but is not. So for instance your number really becomes 166.0033 like at the link below. Then if find out you get a whole bunch of different references because those are all the different materials the cases are made from

then as far as the inside ring goes you could take the ring out of your old crystals it still usable. To certain degree it be much better if you did that because the original rings have a step and the after markets may or may not have the proper step.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=166.0033

then for stainless steel case I have attached the PDF off the cousins website. Couldn't remember if the hands were included with the casing information are not and apparently not.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:26 AM, Manny said:

showing the hands as "restricted" and not for sale to me I presume...

if there showing the hands as restricted are they giving you part numbers for the hands? Because if it would give you part numbers you can look on eBay or other sources otherwise finding hands becomes a bit more of a challenge for instance here's a website that says they have Omega hands but they might not have the style are looking for

https://www.ofrei.com/page764.html

8258_Omega 166.0033 ST Case.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:15 PM, JohnR725 said:

Omega I casing numbers are interesting in that they're not an exact thing. Then you usually have to modify the number if you want to find your apart because the decimal point is not really a decimal point. In other words you have three digits with something that looks like a decimal point but is not. So for instance your number really becomes 166.0033 like at the link below. Then if find out you get a whole bunch of different references because those are all the different materials the cases are made from

then as far as the inside ring goes you could take the ring out of your old crystals it still usable. To certain degree it be much better if you did that because the original rings have a step and the after markets may or may not have the proper step.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/document/search?SearchString=166.0033

then for stainless steel case I have attached the PDF off the cousins website. Couldn't remember if the hands were included with the casing information are not and apparently not.

if there showing the hands as restricted are they giving you part numbers for the hands? Because if it would give you part numbers you can look on eBay or other sources otherwise finding hands becomes a bit more of a challenge for instance here's a website that says they have Omega hands but they might not have the style are looking for

https://www.ofrei.com/page764.html

8258_Omega 166.0033 ST Case.pdf 33.43 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you JohnR for your detailed advice and help with this fix. I have learned a lot from your comments already and appreciate the knowledge and assistance. 

I have managed to source an original new crystal quite well priced ($70 AUD) so that part looks sorted. I will continue the hunt with the hands as you have suggested and hopefully get them sorted also. 

Keep you posted.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I have managed to straighten and repaint the hour hand and replace the sweep second hand with a generic from Cousins. Watch is back together with minimum expenditure as my mate didn't want to spend much at all. For info never found a replacement set of hands available, only found them in gold.

It's far from a perfect repair yet given the overall condition of the watch and the $0 willing to be spent on it coupled with my couple of months in the hobby - I will call this done.

All up the following was done:

- hour hand fix

- replacement sweep second fitted

- date corrector repaired (would not advance daily)

- quick set date now working

- crystal replaced with original 

Will service down the track once i have more experience, have only done around a dozen of cheaper movements and know this will be an expensive mistake with cost of parts and availability. Watch is running fine anyhow.

Am happy that my mate's late grandfather's watch which has been sitting in a drawer for 10 years can now be worn, has sentimental value over aesthetic in this case.

Thanks all

Omega DeVille repair.jpeg