Old zenith cleaning machine

Hey guys, so I came across this old Zenith cleaning machine, the guy wants $225 for it.  It looks like its all there, though the power cord is trashed and needs replacing and the whole thing needs a cleaning.  
If it works, would this be a better way to clean watch parts than using an ultrasonic cleaner?  
I currently clean my parts in an ultrasonic, using Zenith wash and then three separate  jars of Zenith rinse, then set them in a dehydrator to dry. 
Whats your thought on this ?  
Thanks,

Bill

IMG_6704.jpeg

IMG_6705.jpeg

IMG_6706.jpeg

Thanks for the reply.  
The guy seems to be changing his tune and wants more $ after all.  
He said he needs to look at what he paid for it, and thinks it was around 300.  
Feels like he’s milking me, not sure this is a going to work out for me.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BillM said:

The guy seems to be changing his tune and wants more $ after all.  
He said he needs to look at what he paid for it, and thinks it was around 300.

you better hope he doesn't look at eBay otherwise the price is going to go up considerably. Machines that used to a few years ago somebody would probably give a tear for free especially if it's missing the jars now are getting rather interesting price is off of eBay. Some delusional sellers are hoping to get upwards of $1000 for something that was made in the 50s may be because it's a vintage and classic cleaning machine

On 1/17/2024 at 10:12 PM, BillM said:

would this be a better way to clean watch parts than using an ultrasonic cleaner?

I'm sure hundred people come and tell you the opposite answer but I would say no. Ultrasonic cleaning does a really nice job.

but I've seen examples of where people will ultrasonic clean first and then use a machine like this for the various rinse cycles. Then make use of the dryer or the machine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got the machine for $300.  
Did some rewiring and major clean up and she works great!
The jar lids are a bit trashed, so Im using thick plastic sheet as in intermediate cover, but other than that Im very happy!    

IMG_6878.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes, thats what the food dehydrator is for. Works quite well.  
3d printed caps would have to be solvent compliant, which might be a bit costly, But I need something better than ULO plastic liners.  
Without the plastic liners the old liners are saturated and crumbling cardboard, which will contaminate the cleaning solutions without a liner/ barrier.  

IMG_1349.jpeg

Edited by BillM
  • Like 1