Emperor Grandfather clock- strange brown spots on dial face?

JeffJot

So I bought this Emperor grandfather clock at a second hand store, I like it a lot. The mechanics were surprisingly very clean, and it looks like a model 300M.
I included a picture of the whole clock for conversational sake, but my question is about the dial (see close-up).
You can see these strange brown spots around some of the numbers. I mean its not a deal breaker and I can just leave it, maybe gives it an antique look. But what is it?
My guess is maybe the dial is silver plate and its tarnish? But I'm afraid to do anything to clean it as it could make smear marks or look much worse. I finally dared to rub it with a wet microfiber cloth, and it did nothing, so its apparently not dirt.
Has anyone seen this, or knows what they are? Is there any way to remove them.
thanks!

I SEE NO WAY TO POST PICTURES.  CAN ANYONE HELP?  THANKS!

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

When you enter text below the box you will see choose files, click that so you can now look for the file you need to upload click the file or picture you need and it will upload. Any problems just ask. Good Luck.