Watch repair books

Hey again watch peeps. Finding a really good repair book can be a bit hit and miss, and when a recommendation comes along it can get quite expensive. So here a little discovery i made yesterday that should only cost you a few quid. I've had this book on my shelf for about 18 months, its not a big book around A4ish size with 200 pages and old, almost a 100yrs for the 1st edition. Now most of us have heard of Aegler, basically the manufacturer that put Rolex on the map, without Aegler they might not be what they are today. They had a very long partnership starting about 120 yrs ago, from what I've read more or less in each other's pockets since the 1920's, slowing blending together to finish as one company in 2004. The Aegler family also included the Borer family, through marriage ? The Borer family did buy out Aegler in the late 60's who eventually sold it to Rolex. One member of the Borer family was heavily involved with Rolex's design and technical department creating the Rolex Perpetual among others during his time, he was also on Rolex's board of directors this would be Emile Borer. I only realised yesterday after some reading that the writer of my book E.Borer being the same guy. For a few quid must be worth a read is it not ? 

20231205_233004.jpg

20231205_233022.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

@Neverenoughwatches

i just ordered a copy Rich, got to be worth a punt for a fiver

Tom

The price can vary, i have seen it anywhere from £3 -£30. I guess its knowing what you are selling. I've only just started to read it. The section on escapement is really good even the  guy apparently had a brilliant mind its not super technical, inside is a pull out illustration showing 30 points to watch and why things happen if they are not set up correctly. The book was wrote shortly after he designed the Oyster Perpetual the worlds first fully reliable automatic watch. 

Screenshot_20231206-090627_Chrome.jpg

I have the same book and it does indeed have a lot of useful stuff in it.

You had me a little confused when you described it as...

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A4ish size

as my copy is almost exactly A5, but it is the same edition as yours, just love the adverts in the front..

If I remember rightly mine was just a couple of quid in and antiquarian book shop.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

I have the same book and it does indeed have a lot of useful stuff in it.

You had me a little confused when you described it as...

as my copy is almost exactly A5, but it is the same edition as yours, just love the adverts in the front..

If I remember rightly mine was just a couple of quid in and antiquarian book shop.

Haha yeah its sort of inbetween 4 and 5 ish. maybe more 5ish 😅. Mr. Borer keeps it mostly simple, the articles are 100 yrs old ish thats just how folk were then, some of it feels like he's educating a nine year old which suits me just fine 😄. Its interesting reading his views and theories on cleaning and lubrication, oil movement within components like the escapement and the very start of using chemicals for oil adherence and retention, its very clear that he loved an experiment or two since he was head of technical department of the most famous watch brand in the world. Even at almost 100 yrs old its made me look more closely at what i do, definitely should have read it a lot sooner.