Chicago School Or Timezone Or Both For Newb

I'm looking for a new hobby and was planning on taking the TimeZone Level 1 +2 until I ran across a Chicago School PDF course.

I was thinking the Timezone Class first for the benefit of picking up tools along the way.

Is one or both of the courses would be helpful for a beginner?

I don't plan on touching my Rolex 14270 Explorer or Hamilton 992... just breaking a few quartz Timex and non working Pocket watches in the beginning.

The chicago PDF course is very dated but will give you a nice little entry point. I can also recommend the DeCarle book "Practical Watch Repairing", again, very dated but the principles taught are sound.

I don't recommend doing anything with a quartz timex, they are not supposed to be repaired, the plastic plates will melt with any kind of watch cleaner or lighter fluid for example. 

I would recommend getting a chinese replica UT6197 off ebay or from Cousins (about £30) to practice on as it is a nice big movement and very easy to dismantle and put together.

• Like 1

You can even get "'Practical Watch Repairing" on Kindle for little money so, you can start reading straight away. I have it on my phone.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapa

Thank you for your Kindle suggest, \

what is the difference between Hardcover and paper back?

Thank you for your Kindle suggest, \

what is the difference between Hardcover and paper back?

Hi buddy, it is the different way a book is bound.

Hardcover is when a book has a hard front & back cover. Like the books you'd see in a library, think old Haynes manual etc...

Paper back is when a book has very thin paper cover front & back. Like a magazine, think wife's romance novel etc..

Electronic edition is kindle, tablet etc..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have lots & lots of books on the subject but found this book on the Bay last week for a few pounds & its well worth a read. Covers clock & watches & is very well written & covers most aspects you are likely to encounter.

"Watch & Clock Making & repairs" by WJ Gazeley

post-234-0-06733700-1441350825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi buddy, it is the different way a book is bound.

Hardcover is when a book has a hard front & back cover. Like the books you'd see in a library, think old Haynes manual etc...

Paper back is when a book has very thin paper cover front & back. Like a magazine, think wife's romance novel etc..

Electronic edition is kindle, tablet etc..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY