Pocket Watch Identification

Evening all,

I am trying to repair a antique Pocket Watch for a friend and am struggling to source balance jewels (both cracked) the pocket watch is sign J Shaw & Sons, 52 Market street Manchester with a movement number of 188887, the case is 9ct gold and is stamped TPH (Thomas Peter Hewitt), it would appear a number of very similar watches came out of 52 market st with different makers names on them.

The balance jewels are mounted in brass with a screw fitted cap stone also mounted in a brass carrier, I am hoping somebody has a route to a supplier such that I can purchase the necessary spare parts, as always I would welcome any further information on the history as well.

I have attached a photo of the balance for reference.

188887 Pocket Watch.jpg

Hi Guys, 

So I have managed to get a couple of images of the lower balance jewel as requested, sadly I have also notice that the impact jewel is broken. Please let me know if you have any routes through to replacing the balance jewels I'll deal with the impulse jewel after.

188887 Pocket Watch lower Balance Jewel 2.jpg

188887 Pocket Watch lower Balance Jewel 3.jpg

188887 Pocket Watch lower Balance Jewel 4.jpg

188887 Pocket Watch lower Balance Jewel.jpg

Jewel holes are unround as expected, measuring balance pivot's diameter is easier, you best get jewels with exact hole size, yet slightly larger OD jewel can be fitted if you have a broach set.

A picture of the keyless and bridge layout helps looking for similar scrap movements.

Rgds

Edited by Nucejoe

Sorry, but there are no spare parts for suh old watches. Restoring them, if replacement of parts needed, means making the parts, so one must be able do do this. The broken jewels are rolled in jewel settings, now the way to restore the bearings is to make new settings with the same sizes. Modern stones that are press-fitted can be used, this is the easies way to solve the problem. Of course, the balance staff has no survived, if the jewels broke this way. At least, the hairspring side pivot looks badly bent on the picture, and it will probably snap if tryed to be strightened. So, may be turning of balance staff is needed too.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments guys, I have now been able to source and install the necessary jewels into the 188887 pocket watch, however, during the full strip down I also noticed that the balance staff was snapped, can anyone point me in the direction of a balance staff similar to the one dimensioned on the drawing attached?

Balance Staff Dimensions.jpg