Seitz vs Chinese alternatives

clockboy

I normally do not post vids from other watch guys who regularly post on YouTube. However this particular subject is often debated on this forum. Do Chinese tools offer a viable alternative such as the Seitz jeweling tool vs the Chinese copy of a Horta jeweling tool. I have known the answer for a while I recommend watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIqQcVLgtB0

Edited by clockboy

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

I normally do not post vids from other watch guys who regularly post on YouTube. However this particular subject is often debated on this forum. Do Chinese tools offer a viable alternative such as the Seitz jeweling tool vs the Chinese copy of a Horta jeweling tool. I have known the answer for a while I recommend watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIqQcVLgtB0

Watched this a few days ago, quite interesting, a couple of things i didn't know about the seitz, like the accessory to make it into a screw micrometer press without the lever.

14 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Watched this a few days ago, quite interesting, a couple of things i didn't know about the seitz, like the accessory to make it into a screw micrometer press without the lever.

My Seitz tool doesn’t even have a micrometer at all. I think I will still get a horia clone.

Tom

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I don't need to watch the video to see which is best. I know and I had the Seitz complete set. I was given to me by my master when he retired. 

🤔 you know when you retire OH, what might you be doing with your tools ? 😉

26 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

My Seitz tool doesn’t even have a micrometer at all. I think I will still get a horia clone.

Tom

How old is it ?

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I retired from watch & clock making years ago due to poor health. I sold most of my tools and all the parts I had at that time, I wish now I still had it all, but I would need a bigger home or a very large workshop to keep it all in. 

Thats a shame, especially if you still enjoyed it.

I watched the video when it was first published and to be honest I thought his criticism of the clone was a little pointless, a comparison between the clone and a genuine horia would have far more beneficial.

As it was it was just another look how my 2 grand tool is better than this rubbish 100 bucks tool

It's not rocket science or brain surgery to work out which is better, just more of the money is no object brigade showing off how much they spend. We see enough of that on here already.

48 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats a shame, especially if you still enjoyed it.

I get my fix by helping the members out on this wonderful site. I'm still learning new things on here all the time and I was working on high grade clocks mostly for nearly 30 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the Horia clone is the best bang for buck you can get. I use Seitz cannon pinion bits for cannon pinion and seconds hand tightening. For reaming I got a used Seitz frame and new reamers separately. Horia is better for tightening purposes since you can pre-tighten the part between jaws and then turn sideways to inspect under a microscope. I didn't know about the micrometer attachment for Seitz. I wonder if they're ever available.