Enfield bezel catch problem

Rixy

I have a 1930s Enfield Westminster chime clock that will not keep its bezel shut! Perhaps over the years the bezel has dropped on its hinge, I'm not sure. The 'lip' of the catch is moulded to the dial. The only way I have found to close it is to use a blob of blu-tak. I was considering soldering onto the lip and filing it to shape to make it slightly wider. Has anyone else noticed this with old Enfields and are there any suggestions for making the catch work?

On a different note, but still regarding this dial, it has yellowed with decades of tobacco smoke. Have removed some of it by rubbing gently with damp cotton wool but am afraid if I rub too much, I will remove the numerals. Any hints on this also much appreciated. 20231001_221929.thumb.jpg.a65aa307e473041bbb2be3f2b7c8285e.jpg20231001_221921.thumb.jpg.37b373c9bf258155c83c2c0d1308211c.jpg

You won't be able to clean the dial anymore. If you do as you say you will rub the numbers off. You can clean the bezel and get rid of that horrid dirt stain with a silver cloth. 

The bezel won't stay closed. A common problem. I found this way helps. You will need to remove the complete face from its case. Where I have marked from the inside find a punch that will fit and tap the part out more so the bezel snaps shut. 

20231001_221929.jpg.fd0d74a2bcdf97efc2655f30e1d54ee9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1