Staking set - on the way

Took a bit of thinking. But I've done it.

The base is a wooden block from a local Supermarket

I cut the base and shaped it so that the Staking set would sit on top. The cut out allowed the stake to be set on the podium to be used a s stump for the set. I placed a piece of metal at the bottom of the stake to allow hammering, and to keep the stake in a set position I have secured a plastic container with holes for the stake. No movement now. Heath Robison, but it does work well. 

All done. Back to watches now.

IMG_20231004_172009.jpg

IMG_20231004_171348.jpg

IMG_20231004_171415.jpg

IMG_20231004_171430.jpg

IMG_20231004_171444.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
  • Like 3

I need to check my set which doesn't have the base, either. But it does have stumps that go in the 5 holes front and center on your case. But I am by no means an expert. Seems if the stakes needed filing that would tell me something is not quite right that you would have to file something to make the set work...

1 hour ago, Razz said:

I need to check my set which doesn't have the base, either. But it does have stumps that go in the 5 holes front and center on your case. But I am by no means an expert. Seems if the stakes needed filing that would tell me something is not quite right that you would have to file something to make the set work...

Yes. I think you can see that I have filed the top of the stake so that it goes into the bottom of the plate hole. Hence why I have made the hole in the plastic container to make it more solid hold, no wobble. The holder is glued to the wood, therefore it makes the stake very stable. I have a number of stakes filed and ready for insertion when I need a specific stump.

I based this system on the Marshal staking set. The Marshal set has stakes the same size top and bottom for the hole. My stake set has larger stakes into to brass fitment that fit up into the plate base.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Staking set? No but the set looks quite complete and someone should take advantage of the staking-jeweling personality disorder.

Its a combo, i picked up the same one off of ebay but without the name tag, this guy wants nearly 1000 bucks for it. I wondered if one of the major brands made it and another company rebadged it.

• 1 month later...

Well, Here I am. Staking set complete.

So, Let me tell you a story. Follow the Photographs. Sorry about the size.

I bought a staking set for £13. Size 4mm diameter Used on an anvil and hand held to hammer.

14 month of saving and I Purchased a professional Anchor Staking set. £112. Stakes 5mm. 2 stumps for 3mm hole in anvil. Make a note - No convex holed stakes for working with hands. Base hole 4mm, too small for Anchor stakes. OK for cheap set.

Made a base holder out of wood and plastic for protrudes through anvil. £1.39. Filed original cheap tips to 3 mm to depth of 8mm to allow insertion through anvil. Takes 1 hour to file each stake

Anchor Stakes  - no convex. Cheap set has convex. Top hole 5mm. Found a 4mm pipe, but 4.4mm external diameter. Insert 4mm stake. Make pipe larger with tape and make a stop.

Best of all worlds. I have a semi professional system for the fraction of the price.

Just love this hobby. 

IMG_20231108_113500.jpg

Staking set innards.jpg

staking unit.jpg

IMG_20231108_113920a.jpg

IMG_20231108_113949a.jpg

IMG_20231108_114118.jpg

IMG_20231108_114304a.jpg

IMG_20231108_114329a.jpg

IMG_20231108_114521a.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

The base

I was impressed with my wooden base for stumps. I belong to a 'shed for men' who has a number of engineers as members. One of them suggested that he make a metal version of my wooden base. Cheek!

Well, here it is. 4mm hole with screw height adaptor. Flippin' great.

IMG_20231115_100022a.jpg

Bloody brilliant Ross, you owe him a pint. Haha and i have one of those  "men in sheds"  Its in a sports pavilion on a field at the end of my road ,  its never occurred to me to give them a visit 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With my staking set came 3 stumps. Can't find any more on ebay. Therefore I shall make my own. Already made no. 11, but height too short. Ordered some 6mm and 10mm mild steel rods. As with the staking set I will make most of the 'Watch Craft' type myself. No lathe, just diligent filing. I have a friend who has a drill, so hopefully I can make the relevant holes myself. I reckon, 1 a week.

1, 8, 9, and 10, from the 10mm bar. The rest from the 6mm bar.

Cost £6.39p. No charge to myself for the time.

staking stumps.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

With my staking set came 3 stumps. Can't find any more on ebay. Therefore I shall make my own. Already made no. 11, but height too short. Ordered some 6mm and 10mm mild steel rods. As with the staking set I will make most of the 'Watch Craft' type myself. No lathe, just diligent filing. I have a friend who has a drill, so hopefully I can make the relevant holes myself. I reckon, 1 a week.

1, 8, 9, and 10, from the 10mm bar. The rest from the 6mm bar.

Cost £6.39p. No charge to myself for the time.

staking stumps.jpg

Interesting idea to make your own stumps.  Are you going to heat treat them?

I was finally able to use my staking set.  I am servicing a pocket watch and the hole in the barrel bridge for the barrel arbor had too much side shake as well as the hole for the 2nd wheel pivot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gpraceman said:

Interesting idea to make your own stumps.  Are you going to heat treat them?

gpraceman. Good question.

My answer is 'No'. I'll just make them out of mild steel. For the amount of use of a stump I expect hardly any problem. The top stakes are all original and I expect that they have been hardened correctly. The force on a staking set is primarily down.

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar

7 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

gpraceman. Good question.

My answer is 'No'. I'll just make them out of mild steel. For the amount of use of a stump I expect hardly any problem. The top stakes are all original and I expect that they have been hardened correctly. The force on a staking set is primarily down.

A few of the stumps in my Star set are made of brass , mild steel mostly has more impact resilience than brass. Any wear or deformation that you experience with your hand made stumps Ross you should be able to address with periodic maintenance. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

As my old mum said to me just before she passed away from an incorrect blood transfusion, " B positive Richard B positive.  

I’m not sure of laughing at this joke is the correct response?

Or this question either?

Or that one?

I’d better stop now I think. 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Update on base.

I did not realise that the 'shed' man had drilled the base incorrectly with the stump hole to the opposite off centre. Thus, the base was incorrectly aligned to the top. I have gone back to my own wooden base. To made things more sturdy I have place a spigot that holds the base to the inset of the holder. Also, I have added an extra support to the stump making it more secure. Now it performs the same as the professional made sets. 

Pictures attached. I know it looks amateurish, but it does the job as good as the named ones.

IMG_20231115_100053a.jpg

IMG_20231127_105027ab.jpg

IMG_20231127_104900a.jpg

IMG_20231127_105153a.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
More information
  • Like 1

The things I have to do to make the stumps.

I have made 2 stumps. One for for the pallet fork (16) and one for the Canon pinion tightening (11) in the above .pdf (about 6 posts above)

The bars arrived and I have begun to file. Having no lathe, this is the only method I have.

CM231202-150907004.jpg

CM231202-145522002.jpg

CM231202-150355003.jpg

Found a better way then filing all.  Hacksaw Ridge

IMG_20231202_162746.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

The things I have to do to make the stumps.

I have made 2 stumps. One for for the pallet fork (16) and one for the Canon pinion tightening (11) in the above .pdf (about 6 posts above)

The bars arrived and I have begun to file. Having no lathe, this is the only method I have.

CM231202-150907004.jpg

CM231202-145522002.jpg

CM231202-150355003.jpg

Found a better way then filing all.  Hacksaw Ridge

IMG_20231202_162746.jpg

🙂 nice one Ross, you are one of my heros 👍