Name of the part on a Hunter Case

Oh silly me I should pay more attention. I have just gone through the post and I now see the movement which winds from the back and the hands set is the square on the front. What is missing is the bung that goes in the top. These days I have more senior moments every day. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Oh silly me I should pay more attention. I have just gone through the post and I now see the movement which winds from the back and the hands set is the square on the front. What is missing is the bung that goes in the top. These days I have more senior moments every day. 

Oh don't say that just a mild confusion. I get that from time to time on the discussion where yes we all do that. Especially when we all get focused for specific things were looking for and we just don't see as I sometimes call at the elephant in the room. It's where the discussion group becomes interesting because together as a group we can evaluate the situation that individually we don't necessarily see the whole picture. Then yes I do appreciate all the times were somebody points out that something I missed.

23 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

That was a good find it's amazing all the interesting stuff that you can find on Dave's website.

Another websites is interesting for Elgin is this one for parts

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/

The reason I asked where the watch was purchased was that both Elgin and Waltham exported a lot of watches out of the country. C can end up with an export grade like this that should've been exported but is still in the country?

The problem for pocket watch database for identifying your watch is the database is based on 1950 Elgin parts list catalog. The problem with the parts list catalog is it's used for identifying parts it's not necessarily used to identify watches. This is why in the database for your watches says it's a mixed because for parts they're all the same kind of but they probably weren't all the same watch the database just doesn't clarify that because it's looking at a newer parts list where things were consolidated versus the much older parts list.

Then parts for older Elgin watches can become interesting. What becomes interesting is sometimes the parts have changed like mainsprings you look in the catalog you see it's this specific part you get the part you find at the end isn't quite right because the original was a different end for instance I've had that for the mainsprings then you have to modify the end of the mainspring to fit your watch. Then for your balance staff will have to measure what's in there to see which one it is even though you have a part number that's my favorite Elgin part number to make fun of. That's because for one part number you end up with four different balance staffs different for size reasons and then of course a whole bunch of different pivot variations so will need to measure the old staff to see which one it is. Then when you're placing an order for it have to make sure you're specifying which of the four that you want or make sure if it's an eBay seller they're actually describing it properly

I then coming up with a regulator might be interesting I'm not sure if anyone on eBay is selling those it might be to ask Dave from Dave's parts whether he might have a regulator and he might actually be good for all the parts but you still have to identify which staff in which mainspring you need as opposed to saying I have this and assuming that the parts in the listing is correct

I have this strange box of random balance staffs that I got as part of an auction lot. The box is about 4"' x 6" x 1" and full of balance staffs. Why anyone would have such a thing is a mystery I have yet to solve. Maybe that's something for another thread. I don't have it with me at the moment of I'd post a pic.

27 minutes ago, FlameOfWrath said:

I have this strange box of random balance staffs that I got as part of an auction lot. The box is about 4"' x 6" x 1" and full of balance staffs. Why anyone would have such a thing is a mystery I have yet to solve. Maybe that's something for another thread. I don't have it with me at the moment of I'd post a pic.

Watchmakers love to accumulate stuff. Newer used balance staffs and yes it would be best to start a new discussion.

Over the years the various wherever have sold assorted balance staffs I have a packet at work of Swiss staffs. But one day we had a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff in the back room somebody had given one of the stores stuff and I just accumulated in the back room so I went through them liberated variety of items for safekeeping in my bench. One of them was a small box of brand-new American pocket watch staffs. Wasn't just one brand it was a whole variety of brands so I know there's Elgin Hamilton Waltham in their. There are even brand-new Hamilton 992B balance staffs at least there were live all been used up now and you look on eBay that's easily $10 each so I've extracted I don't do a lot of balance staffs but at least $50 of staffs came out of the box that we got for free. But pictures and a  new discussion would be the best thing. The certain degree not everything because I get annoyed with how fragmented this discussion group can become but typically things should be a new discussions with proper title so I could be findable otherwise interesting things disappear and no one ever sees him again.