An interesting watch, ish

A neighbour asked me to look at a watch for her friend, little did I know what was coming.

so this was/is an official Disney watch, an automatic no less.

the caseback said Japanese movement, so I thought ok myota or seiko, subdial for seconds which seemed to work fine but the hour and minute hand didn’t. So the usual “I’ll see what I can do if anything “ and the answer was “ok do your best “

looking at the automatic mechanism before I got into it looked more Chinese than what I am used to for Japanese. Filled around a lot to try and get the automatic works and movement ring separated, didn’t work and I initially thought I broke something as the automatic works came out with the ring!  Second look, so did the balance? 

underneath was a cheap Epson quartz ! So it was a fraud that it was an automatic watch but the real watch was quartz.

I should have taken photos but I didn’t, I was rather flabbergasted that anyone would create a second hand and balance like this, a total fraud and ripoff imho!

this was apparently a quiet expensive watch, £200+ 😳

Tom , venting for the ripoff’s 

• Like 1

Heheheh, another great topic. You know there is an active market for the fakes, right? They are sold as fakes, and they are not cheap. Some are quite good, and some people don't care what the movement really is, just what it looks like.

Twice I fell for fake wristwatches, and happily did not pay much. One was a Rolex which arrived with the numerals and hands jumbled loose under the crystal. The back is unremovable, and I don't think there is even a movement in there.

The other is a Piaget, and I have never seen a more convincing fake. The weight and feel are perfect, it has the signature clasp and crown, and when setting, the feel when moving the hands is perfect. Inside, a small Japanese quartz movement.

A friend fell so in love with it that he traded me three decent vintage Seikos for it. I thought I got a great trade, but I don't collect Seikos, lol. Maybe I can trade them for a real watch somewhere.

• Like 1

Thing is this wasn’t even a fake, this came out of the Disney shop, which for me kinda makes it even worse.

🤬

Tom

44 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

This reminds me of something I've seen.  If I recall it, I will post.

Fossil Twist!  That is the watch of which your description reminded.   I found a link:

https://watchcomplications.com/2018/06/15/fossil-twist-a-cautionary-tale-regarding-fashion-watches/

It wasn’t even as complex as that one 🤣 though it did have me scratching my head how to take this automatic watch movement out of the case!🤣

Tom

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Has nobody told you that Seikos are real watches lol. Pictures please J

Ooops, my bad. Seikos are just wonderful I am sure, I will leave it to others to worship them though. I do admit sometimes I see a Seiko that fits my aesthetic. As far as pics go, I'll see what I csn do to find those watchres asap. If you have any connections with the search and rescue units in my area, or perhaps nationally will be needed, do send them a request to come help me look. 

2 hours ago, Galilea said:

Ooops, my bad. Seikos are just wonderful I am sure, I will leave it to others to worship them though. I do admit sometimes I see a Seiko that fits my aesthetic. As far as pics go, I'll see what I csn do to find those watchres asap. If you have any connections with the search and rescue units in my area, or perhaps nationally will be needed, do send them a request to come help me look. 

Well that was easy, they happen to be in cases. Here are the three Seikos, I also found one of the Piaget if interested. I cannot imagine you want to see the movements here, right?

20230812_161007.jpg

20230812_160541.jpg

Edited by Galilea