lost very small screw, need help to find replacement

Hi all.

While following on Mark's training, on my first re-assembly of this test Chinese movement, I lost one of the three small screws from the crown wheel. Seems to be 0.6mm thread aprox 1mm long. I've searched through Cousins UK but there are so many options in there that i got lost :).

I could use a little help here, I am rookie, please  bear with me :).

Many thanks!

20230718_205712.jpg

20230801_192215.jpg

17 hours ago, Catalin said:

Hi all.

While following on Mark's training, on my first re-assembly of this test Chinese movement, I lost one of the three small screws from the crown wheel. Seems to be 0.6mm thread aprox 1mm long. I've searched through Cousins UK but there are so many options in there that i got lost :).

I could use a little help here, I am rookie, please  bear with me :).

Many thanks!

20230718_205712.jpg

20230801_192215.jpg

You haven't lost the screw, its only temporarily misplaced. Its there somewhere in the vicinity, you only have to find it. Big magnet !   Clear your desk carefully, the surrounding area and check the floor, its there i guarantee it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You haven't lost the screw, its only temporarily misplaced. Its there somewhere in the vicinity, you only have to find it. Big magnet !   Clear your desk carefully, the surrounding area and check the floor, its there i guarantee it. 

yeah, I tried that :))))..the damn thing is so small, I gave up after a couple of hours. It might have jumped into a crack in the floor. I ordered from the Cousins this (attached).

I will to get some sweeping magnet asap!

Screenshot 2023-08-02 172306.jpg

15 minutes ago, Catalin said:

yeah, I tried that :))))..the damn thing is so small, I gave up after a couple of hours. It might have jumped into a crack in the floor. I ordered from the Cousins this (attached).

I will to get some sweeping magnet asap!

Screenshot 2023-08-02 172306.jpg

You might be lucky, seiko and Chinese screws could be a different thread but always worth a try. A lot of folk suggest not having a carpet under your workspace, and i did used to agree with that. Try dropping a screw on a hard floor and see how far it travels, then try the same on carpet. If its in carpet its usually found, on a hard floor it can bounce and roll a good way from where it landed.

30 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

If I had bought an assortment for every parts that pinged , I'd have a material house by now.    Go magnet.

Rgds

lol. Good point. I am just starting and gathering tools but yes, a sweeping magnet is on my list. Thanks!

I pinged a tiny screw last week and used a magnet and torch in every nook and cranny of my office to no avail. It's not a popular movement and parts are like hen's teeth, so I was prepared to buy a donor at a fair cost.

Today I was moving the other side of my office around, cleared a desk and there was the little sod. It had managed to ping around 4 feet, underneath a piece of equipment that lies almost flat on the other desk and rolled a couple of feet under it.