I have a screw on case back that is being extremely difficult to remove.  I have tried a jaxa tool but I cannot get a good grip on the case back because there are no notches on it.  I have read 

that double bagging the watch, soaking it in hot water and putting it in ice will cause the case to expand and at that  point I can try to open it again.  Before I try this does anyone have any other

recommendations?

Thanks

Fontaine.jpg

31 minutes ago, ColdWind said:

Glue a steel hex nut to the back, then open it with a wrench. You can remove the glued-on nut with acetone later.

Second this. I had a similar shaped back on a Yema that wouldn't budge. The nut and superglue sorted it and it cleaned off very easily.

On 6/27/2023 at 7:34 AM, Mike78 said:

I have read 

that double bagging the watch, soaking it in hot water and putting it in ice will cause the case to expand and at that  point I can try to open it again

Banishing the offender for a stay the freezer has worked for me...the nut trick is great, too...

Edited by rehajm

Using a large nut and a good wrench will give you plenty of leverage, but you need to back that up with something equally as stout to hold the watch case from moving while you apply force. Many case holders will twist loose when you apply significant torque, especially those with plastic components. A crescent wrench (adjustable spanner) with jaws that open wide enough to fit around the case can be used to engage the flat inside surfaces of the lugs to hold things steady – just be careful to avoid scratching the case or crystal. 

I use medium CA glue like this, letting it cure for a few minutes before hitting it with CA activator spray, but if you don't have activator you can let it cure on its own. Give it 5-10 minutes and not seconds.

image.thumb.png.4791ef94cbb89c6e5779fde69dce93c2.png

I'm certain any kind of "gel" or "thick" cyanoacrylate adhesive would work as well.

image.thumb.png.bf9e08ed4a63423d75403be1093b03e8.png

Then just soak the parts in acetone to release the bond and dissolve the glue.