What are some jewels for in the 6106 Seiko 5 watch with 25 jewels?

Hello, everyone. I did work on Seiko 6106 movements in the past and they had 17 and 23 jewels. Currently I am working on 6106 with 25 jewels and the use of jewels is very different comparing to the 17j and 21j movements. First, there are no diafix blocks anymore and this is my first question - why? But the second question relates to 6 jewels, located on the main plate (4) and on the calendar cover plate (2). They have no holes, just look like small round windows and I have no clue what is their function. The picture of one of them on the main plate is attached.  Please explain. Thank you!

DSC03493.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valentime01 said:

Hello, everyone. I did work on Seiko 6106 movements in the past and they had 17 and 23 jewels. Currently I am working on 6106 with 25 jewels and the use of jewels is very different comparing to the 17j and 21j movements. First, there are no diafix blocks anymore and this is my first question - why? But the second question relates to 6 jewels, located on the main plate (4) and on the calendar cover plate (2). They have no holes, just look like small round windows and I have no clue what is their function. The picture of one of them on the main plate is attached.  Please explain. Thank you!

DSC03493.JPG

About as much use as a chocolate fire guard but dont they look lovely .

13 hours ago, valentime01 said:

The picture of one of them on the main plate is attached. 

Normally we don't get enough detail now we have too much could you back out a little bit so we can see where the jewel is.

Then often times when you go beyond a practical jewel count they start to get creative. Bonus jewels here and there that may or may not serve any real purpose at all. But they do bumped the count up so they can have a much higher number printed on the dial and probably bump the price up. My favorite is the ring of jewels they go under the automatic weight just in case for some unknown reason should touch the plate which of course it's not supposed to do.

7 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I think it's for the date ring to ride on.

Rolex does something similar You can add three more jewels to your  total number of jewels

image.png.efdfe80bc5fd19d453ca197357475736.png

• Like 1