First Watch To Disassemble And Reassemble?

I've been looking for a hobby whilst the missus watches the soaps, and seeing all these old watches in family pictures got me interested.

I'm looking for advice on what would be a good watch make/model to take apart, so I can learn more about how mechanical watches work. Preferably something cheap and easy. Any ideas would be great

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I find watch repair a satisfying (and also frustrating, as you'll likely learn) hobby.  However I recommend against starting just by taking apart a watch.  There are so many pitfalls in that, that you're likely to get frustrated and stymied, and lose the opportunity of having a lot of fun.  I suggest starting with some instruction.  I started by taking an online instruction course with the Online Watch School.  A less expensive approach might be to read a primer on the subject.  Also, there are numerous how-to videos on YouTube.

Good luck!  Have fun!

Good suggestion Roger.

Whatever movement you decide to go with, makes you're that it is a running watch before you start. Time enough to start trying to find faults when you have a good understanding of how things work.

Good day.

How you said swordfish and Geo, no need to hurry. That honor, pravdv not know the English language sites, but now can be translated into the language of literature available on the following link, and as there are books available to you on the possible language. Good luck and precision. http://german242.com/books/books.htm:woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

All god advice from all. I would suggest a running, 7 jewel pocket watch of US origin as parts and simplicity are there and cost is minimal. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, and rewarding world of horology!