Best lume powder/paste kit to buy?

I guess this depends on who you are doing the job for as much as anything else. If it is for your own collection, and only for a few hands, then these ebay kits probably will work fine.

If you are doing this for a customer, and you are offering any sort of warranty,  then you might look at using a known reputable supplier like Cousins in the UK, as they are likely to have better quality control. However they are probably more expensive.

image.png.303a8d51ea597892a54cb5b6159a4c71.png

I have used inexpensive luminous powder from ebay. (Much cheaper even than the kits you listed), using PVA wood glue or acrylic nail polish as a binder and it does work pretty well too.

However the grain size of the ebay powders feels slightly more coarse (this may be my imagination).

Ebay offerings comes in a huge variety of colours, so if you are looking for something a little different, this might be the way to go.

See here for my latest examples of how this worked out ->

.. and here ...

I also have some "proper" watch grade powders and those work too, and they feel slightly less coarse grained.  You obviously need to use modern strontium aluminate based luminous materials, as they are non radioactive.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Thanks 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Yes i did eventually realise that the oil will act as a barrier, I'm sure the discussion will continue. Ive had two oleophobic coffees ( added coconut ) and in the meantime i have this just delivered to take my mind off epilame for the time being. My favourite type of dial, its a beautiful looking watch traditional English made and it runs,  the ticktock is phenomenal,  i can hear it across my living room .  You wont believe how much it was.
    • Imm going to close the discussion by attaching the photo of my super-titanium after several vicissitudes finally working. Purchased as not working I replaced the battery and for a stroke of luck I found its semi-new solar panel which, having verified its operation, seems to recharge the accumulator perfectly. I had taken this watch almost by bet, with 40 euros I brought it back to life. The initial half idea was to resell it to finance another purchase, but.. it's definitely a nice item. It would need to check the impermeability but it's a pleasure to see it on the wrist 😃
    • In fact the secret is to go gently and find the way without forcing, and the movement enters without problems
    • Yea a have given it a full service this movement is chinese 2813 whats the lift angle for this movement does anyone knows  and how  do a remove the default  of 52 degrees on my timegrapher?   Hi you said my lift angle is default how do a remove this from my timegrapher?
    • Sure! Some very accomplished repairers never use epilame! I have often wondered if it is worth the trouble. Not using epilame will shorten the service intervals though, but that could be better perhaps both for the owner and the repairer!? Speaking of oiling, I just read this: After WWII in the 1950s the first Synthetic Oils came on the market. Most watchmakers did not rush to use these oils since they were bad for business now that the watch serviced with Synthetic oil would not come back to him for service for another 5-7 years he would lose a lot of income. ~Ofrei.com   Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it would be more correct to think of epilame as a binder rather than a repellant. Until convinced otherwise that's how I will think of epilame.