Waltham 6/0 ''42'' balance staff

I have a few Waltham 6/0 ''42'' cases and movements both 9J and 17J.  Most need balance staffs.  I could not find tech. sheets on them.  Does anyone know if the balance staffs are the same for both?  Anyone have the parts numbers for the balance staffs.  I would like to get  2 of each if the are different.

I don't suppose you could give me a serial number?

2 minutes ago, markr said:

Most need balance staffs

The other way to find balance staffs is to measure the existing staff then look at the staffs that are available and see if you're lucky and you probably will find one that matches.

Is this a military wristwatch?

• Like 1

I am at my remote home now so I cannot say for sure what I have, but I may have some staffs at home. I also have NOS hairsprings.

I just sold a '42 movement (shipped today).

I think I have some mainsprings as well. I was restoring a couple of these 1.5+ Years ago, then moved on to Elgin 539s.

The setting lever screw has a different part number for '52 and the "D." Seemed odd

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, markr said:

One of the 17j is 31203805.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/31203805

Grade:No. 10616

9 hours ago, markr said:

One of the 7j is 31347187

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/31347187

Grade:No. 10609

9 hours ago, markr said:

I could not find tech. sheets on them. 

Typically but not always if it's an American pocket and/or wristwatch you can find it on the pocket watch database at the links above. Also because I was curious Waltham published a serial number book and I snipped out an image were you can see what they are also.

That am attaching a PDF out of the 1940s something material guide showing all the parts hopefully for your watch. As you're looking for mainspring and balance staffs always remember to measure what was ever in there just to make sure degrees with whatever your putting it on. Especially with balance staffs there can be sometimes are variations.

Waltham serial number parts 42.JPG

461017638_WalthamWatchandClockMaterial-1948Edition1942.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1