Hello ...I have a question regarding my recently aquired omega.

it is a 1977 omega seamaster quartz with cal 1342.

I noticed that the humidity is getting into my watch, and this watch is supposed to be waterproof up to 30 meters...or am i wrong ?  so my questions are do you guys know the part number of the rear cover seal , cristal seal and stem seal....any help would be very welcome.

omega.jpg

Waterproof is a misnomer, water resistant is more correct. There is a lot of debate around this, 30m/3atm of water resistance absolutely does not mean that the watch will be fine to dive with to 30m. This level of water resistance is what is common for dress watches and it is not recommended to wash the dishes or shower with it on never mind swim as the dynamic water column pressure will exceed 30m/3atm.

hope this helps 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Waterproof is a misnomer, water resistant is more correct. There is a lot of debate around this, 30m/3atm of water resistance absolutely does not mean that the watch will be fine to dive with to 30m. This level of water resistance is what is common for dress watches and it is not recommended to wash the dishes or shower with it on never mind swim as the dynamic water column pressure will exceed 30m/3atm.

hope this helps 

Tom

Ok...I understand...but i never dive or swim with my omega, I just noticed some humidity inside my watch lens after a strong rain that somehow hitted my omega directly...I do have a bulova 1969 and tissot that would not be affected by this type of rain...therefore I asked in the forum for the seals...

But thanks for your very good explanation regarding the water resistant....

56 minutes ago, mustang said:

Ok...I understand...but i never dive or swim with my omega, I just noticed some humidity inside my watch lens after a strong rain that somehow hitted my omega directly...I do have a bulova 1969 and tissot that would not be affected by this type of rain...therefore I asked in the forum for the seals...

But thanks for your very good explanation regarding the water resistant....

It could be dicey in heavy rain or a storm with that WR TBH. With the age of the watch I would definitely look at least to change the caseback gasket and the crown gasket(s). Moisture does not do nice things to watches.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

It could be dicey in heavy rain or a storm with that WR TBH. With the age of the watch I would definitely look at least to change the caseback gasket and the crown gasket(s). Moisture does not do nice things to watches.

Tom

Any idea where can I get them or the part numbers to search them? I have a 1342 omega service parts, but this information does not include such parts...

thanks for your kind help.

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

When looking for or ordering gaskets for Omegas  you will need the case back number, cousins uk have both the genuine and generic gaskets

do you have the website of those cousins in the UK ? 

thanks for the help

On 3/14/2023 at 10:30 AM, mustang said:

and this watch is supposed to be waterproof up to 30 meters...or am i wrong ? 

I believe you will find that most companies will not warranty their watches forever for water resistance. The gaskets with time can disintegrate and usually do. Just because one watch seems like maybe it's not being affected with time The gaskets do have a habit of allowing moisture in and moisture in the watch is very very bad even in small quantities.

Oh and then there is the other little problem. Diving or exposing the watch to water under pressure is different then for instance taking a hot shower with your watch. Or exposing your watch did temperature extremes where it's hot and then cold. Then that's a very bad for getting humidity into the watch. In other words if you heat the watch up the air inside expands and goes out. When the watch cools down it pulls the air back often times bringing humidity or tiny amounts of moisture past the gaskets.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:10 AM, watchweasol said:

case back number

For Omega the case back number is the best. But amusingly the case back number doesn't specifically referred to the type of material the case is made of. In other words you look up a case back number and sometimes it could referred to stainless steel or gold or rose gold or gold and stainless steel. Not an issue for gaskets but it could be an issue for a crown or crystal that has a metal ring inside. The other thing that sometimes works if it's a newer watch is the serial number but only if you can find somebody it has Swatch group access otherwise no one else is going to look up the serial number.

Edited by JohnR725